Red Blood Swordtail Preggo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,

Just got a red blood swordtail pregnant female from the store and brought her home. I know they are live bearing fish, but it appears she is laying eggs... Is that her aborting the fish due to stress? Or is it not the fish I was told it was?

Thanks for the help in advance!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1473908315.443209.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This looks more like a molly than a swordtail but I could be wrong. Definitely a type of livebearer.
I've seen livebearers drop what look like eggs but they were actually fry that were curled up in a ball around their yolk sac. They were viable and free swimming after some time.
I suppose during moments of stress that embryos/fry can be aborted. I'd keep an eye on her the the "eggs" that are being dropped.

Yeah I agree with the Molly more than a swordtail... Hoping we are incorrect on that considering that would only leave one female for my male swordtail unless they cross breed. She still appears to have a bit of a gravid spot so ongoing to keep a close eye on her and the tank!

Back
Top Bottom