Red Cambomba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm having trouble propagating my plant. It grows shoots but they don't flourish. The plant is alive but not thriving. I haven't measured water parameters recently so I don't have those numbers available. Water temp is steady at 76 degrees F, I dose with API Leaf Zone( don't want to use any ferts with copper to protect my shrimp), and I'm using Zoo Med Ultra Sun bulbs. My Java Moss and Water Sprite are doing great.

Also I dose every pwc which is weekly. I've haven't introduced any new fish in months. All my water numbers have been dead on, meaning no spikes in ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. I'll measure as soon as I have the time today but looking for some advice on how to help my guy ( or gal ) out.

Thanks AA!!!

Actually shrimp need some copper, AquaChem gave a good explanation not too long ago how they actually need it. I keep somewhere over 50 shrimp in my 220g and dose micro nutrients on the high side daily (which has copper in them). The copper in ferts will not hurt your shrimp at all.

If you nitrates are 0 then they are missing that macro nutrient. How much phosphates does your tank have? Do you dose liquid carbon or CO2? My guess is a nutrient deficiency and possibly not enough light? I have Cabomba Furcata that is actually just finishing up flowering. I know they like at least a med to high light and CO2 or liquid carbon along with good ferts. Plus they don't like to be crowded when planted. I space mine so each stem almost but not quite touches the stems around it. That way light and water circulation can reach lower stems.

I'm not sure on phosphates as I don't have a kit to measure that. I also don't use any type of CO2. But I appreciate the feedback. I'll probably try a different fert and some liquid CO2. Also I only have 1 stem so I'm not worried about space.

Glad to hear the copper won't hurt my shrimp.

Seachems Flourish Comprehensive would be good, don't know about any others since I use dry ferts. Also Seachem makes a liquid carbon called Flouish Excel which aids in photosynthesis and plant growth. You have to use it every day as it only stays in solution 12-24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom