Red Cherry Shrimp and Otocinclus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a heavily planted 10 gallon tank with 3 red wendtii, 13 anacharis, 3 java fern, 1 banana plant, 1 small amazon sword, 3 big java moss bunches, driftwood and lava rock.

There is about 13 RCS in there and 1 female zebra danio. I would like to add some otocinclus to the tank and I'm wondering if the presence of otocinclus catfish will stop the RCS from breeding.

Thanks in advance!

I agree that the otos shouldn't bother the rcs at all.
IMO, a pair of otos in a 10 is fine, but be sure to suppliment their diet with veggies/wafers. Not everybod agrees with otos in a 10, but its up to you.

Thank you for your input.

What if instead of Otos I was to add Amano Shrimp?

Will the RCS continue to breed?

What other types of shrimp could I add that wouldn't stop the RCS from breeding?

if you want to completely stop the breeding id sell all the females, if you want to mostly stop it id sell most females.....

+1

I wouldn't keep Otos in a 10 gallon. They're small, but they're very active, prefer to be in groups and should ideally be kept in a larger, well planted tank.

Even liveaquaria (which makes $ selling fish) lists a 30 gallon minimum tank size...and they're always going to list on the smaller size so more people purchase.

A Zebra Danio has no business in a 10 gallon either. For one, they need to be kept in a school of 5-6+, and I wouldn't personally keep them in anything smaller than a 20 long.

If you're trying to get your shrimp to breed prolifically, a dedicated shrimp only tank is the way to go. Even the smallest fish will eat shrimplets, and I've even seen my Neon Tetras nipping at the adult RCS.

Thank you for your input.

What if instead of Otos I was to add Amano Shrimp?

Will the RCS continue to breed?

What other types of shrimp could I add that wouldn't stop the RCS from breeding?
IMO, amanos wouldn't stop the rcs from breeding. Truthfully, I don't think any fish actually stap them from breeding, its just that fish will eat them or their shrimplets IMO. You could add a nerite snail. They eat algae, are small, and don't eat shrimp (at least not that I've ever seen).

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, amanos wouldn't stop the rcs from breeding. Truthfully, I don't think any fish actually stap them from breeding, its just that fish will eat them or their shrimplets IMO. You could add a nerite snail. They eat algae, are small, and don't eat shrimp (at least not that I've ever seen).

Thanks! It seems like I've made up my mind to get a few amano shrimp to go with my RCS.

eco23 said:
+1

I wouldn't keep Otos in a 10 gallon. They're small, but they're very active, prefer to be in groups and should ideally be kept in a larger, well planted tank.

Even liveaquaria (which makes $ selling fish) lists a 30 gallon minimum tank size...and they're always going to list on the smaller size so more people purchase.

A Zebra Danio has no business in a 10 gallon either. For one, they need to be kept in a school of 5-6+, and I wouldn't personally keep them in anything smaller than a 20 long.

If you're trying to get your shrimp to breed prolifically, a dedicated shrimp only tank is the way to go. Even the smallest fish will eat shrimplets, and I've even seen my Neon Tetras nipping at the adult RCS.

Thanks! I'll make the adjustments ASAP to have only shrimp in the 10 gallon.

I think otos are fine in a 10g, but that's just me (and absoluteangel) I guess. They are very small and not very active fish. I have several of them in various setups and don't notice any real behavioral differences between a few loners in a small tank to a big group in a large tank. A good established 10g will have plenty of biofilm for them to eat, and the tank should be supplemented with vegetables/veggie wafers anyway.

Definitely no zebra danios in a 10g, they don't mesh well with dwarf shrimp anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom