Red cherry shrimp disappearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vacrawfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got 5 RCS 2 weeks ago. Within 5 days all of them, had disappeared. I figured either my rummy nose tetras or assassin snail had eaten them, but had not seem any carnage. Then today 3 reappeared and are swimming all over the tank. I looked everywhere for them before and cannot imagine where they were hiding. Has anyone had experience w this? The temp is about 5 degrees cooler because of power outage last night. Thanks!

Check your filter? Mine were quite adept at getting into HOBs.

+1 ... With Aquachem.

This is not surprising, I find at least one RCS in each of my AC-70's every time I do maintenance. Plus ... RCS are masters at hiding, especially if you have plants, DW, Rocks or other Decor and they are in a new tank.

Thanks! I am hoping they will stick around, and not hide again. they are so interesting to watch

Thanks! I am hoping they will stick around, and not hide again. they are so interesting to watch

Unless there are fish in the tank with them, their probably done hiding most of the time. I have about 100 shrimp in my 20gal long and there are times when I only see a handful out, the majority are under DW, in the plants etc.

Ill answer my own question for the thread incase anyone else reads it at a future date.

No they wont eat your plants unless they are decaying. Fresh healthy plants should be fine.

Mollipop

I have not noticed the shrimp eating any of my plants. They pretty much just clean up any old food left on the bottom of the tank

Molliwopp

I have not noticed the shrimp eating any of my plants, they tend to just clean up food left on the bottom

Back
Top Bottom