Red Cherry Shrimp Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gr00h

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one RCS, started with five. All of the other fish/plants I have are doing wonderfully... So I know it must be a cherry specific sensitivity. What tests should I buy (about the only think I know water wise is temp, and ammonia content).

gr00h*~

I would first start by checking any food/chemicals put in the tank for copper in the ingredients.

I did use a plant fertilizer once, after I was having my problems. I will be checking on that. My shrimp problems happened since the get

gr00h*~

Just checked. The fertilizer doesn't have ingredients but says it's safe for shrimp

gr00h*~

What are the tankmates? What kind of filter? Sponge prefilter? Are they hiding?

I have a rcs only tank and its amazing how many are in there but you cant see them. A pic of ur setup might help.

As described above the only things I know for sure are the ammonia and temp. Ammonia is within safe parameters, and temp ranges 74-80

gr00h*~

Rcs are very sensitive to ammonia and nitrite levels. There are no "safe parameters" other than zero for these. How long has this aquarium been up and running? How did you cycle it? We need some kind of info to help you further.

I ask- what kind of test kits should I buy because I know very little about the water in the tank other than my test for ammonia and temp. Its a seachem in tank ammonia gage. It's been running about two months. I do 15-25% water changes every week... I am sorry I am new to this site. I thought the point was to put all your tank info in your bio, and then when you have questions responders refer to that. Is that not how it's usually done?

gr00h*~

I did see your bio and it didnt answer either question i asked about how long the tank has been up and running(other than recently) or how you cycled it. Recently could be a week or three months. If its been a week, its not cycled at all. Three months, maybe or maybe not. Just asking questions to try and help, as are most people you will find on this site. To answer your original question, get an API freshwater master test kit. Best of luck.

Sometimes it depends on where the shrimp come from. I purchased 15 RCS from am LFS over a 3 month period and only 5 survived. They were about $4.29 a piece so it started to add up. I then ordered 20 for $25 from another AA member (with juvies it was actually 26 RCS and 4 were already berried). I had a better survival rate with this batch. I have a feeling that the ones from the LFS were all females (I did hand pick the most colorful ones).
I see you are using (crushed) coral to boost the calcium. I used chunks of cuttle bone to do this. My shrimp are thriving and breeding though I would expect the population to be much higher. Perhaps there is some die off in the juvenile stages.

So cycled refers to the natural beginning ammonia/nitrate/nitrite cycle of a brand new tank? And what does LFS mean? Still learning the lingo in aquarium world. Maybe it is the place I'm getting it from, didn't think of that because it's a nice locally owned shop. Could be though. I'll try another place in a couple weeks.

gr00h*~

I've had my tank for about two months, got 2 shrimp about a month after it was established, they passed. Then I got 3 last week and they're gone as well. So the first two it could be the cycling, and maybe the latter 3. I'm still not sure considering that none of my other fish or organisms passed. They're thriving. I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks and try a new shrimp source

gr00h*~

Save ur money and dont buy anything until you get the test kit and see where u stand. Amazon has the best price i have seen.

Here is some useful information: Articles to Help you Get Started with your Aquarium http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154837
In a nutshell, cycled refers to a condition where the beneficial bacteria (BB) living in the filter and other areas in the tank exist in sufficient numbers to convert deadly ammonia into slightly less toxic nitrite and then into nitrate (still toxic but lesser than the other two). This process can take a while to complete (weeks to months). Being that the BB are found in great concentration in the filter, rinsing the filters cartridge or filter media with tap water is not a good thing to do. This will reduce the BB and undo the weeks/months it took to develop them.
Above all, proper water changes area must.
I know I mentioned the source of the shrimp can be an issue, but the tank they go into is just as important.
I know this is a lot of info. Read the articles above on cycling. As mentioned in an earlier post, measuring ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (all found in the API FW Master Kit) is important for assessing the condition of your tank and whether or not it has been cycled.
Oh, LFS stands for local fish store.

You'd do better buying rcs in the classifieds here. Pitbully 13 and fish dude have some beauts. . Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom