Red Cherry vs Blue Pearl vs Ghost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ProxyBlue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm trying to decide which type of freshwater shrimp to go with. I have a betta and would like to add a few shrimp in the tank. My betta is pretty well behaved but he's never had to share before so I don't know how he would feel about new friends. I'm not a huge fan of ghost shrimp and I've read that it's hit or miss if the betta will eat them, but that the ghost shrimp are a little more aggressive and might tear up the fins of the betta. How do the red cherry and blue pearl compare?

I have kept ghost shrimp with Bettas before and the only problem I have ever had is the shrimp not being able to eat because the Betta eats the sinking pellets I put in there for them. I have never seen my Ghost Shrimp become aggressive toward my Betta. My Betta will check them out when they first get put into the tank but then they leave each other alone.

I would try RCS if you have plants live or otherwise. They will not mess with the Betta and eat mostly bio film. A quarter blanched de-shelled pea every week will supply all the extra food they need and add color to the tank. When they reproduce, your Betta will get a few great meals and likely miss a few that will grow up.

Ghost shrimp are a bit more aggressive and will need to be fed more. I'm not a fan of them and their fry will not live in the tank unless you never clean it and in that case they won't last long anyway.

Back
Top Bottom