Red Claw Crab Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wiggins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 2 red claw crabs about 3 weeks ago (one male and one female). They were both healthy, got along well and active until today. When I arrived home I checked the tank and the male was on his back stiff with his abdomen flap kind halfway open. I checked the rest of the tank to see if it was a molt but it wasn't. I put him in a separate tank and hand fed him peas. He ate them but after a few hours he flipped on his back again and hasn't moved since then. I keep assuming he is dead but whenever I go near the tank he flinches so I guess not. I have never seen either of them molt before and I just don't know what to do with the male.

The female during this time was perfectly fine then when I removed the male from the tank she started to flip upside-down... I went to feed her and usually when I remove the tank lid she hides under one of the decorations but today she sat perfectly still on top of a branch literally 2 inches away from my hand.

So my real question is.. What's going on with my crabs??
Any type of feedback would be very helpful!:thanks:

I'm not sure but I might as well ask:

-water temp?
-freshwater or brackish water?
-land to water ratio?
-what do you feed them and how much / how often?
-sometimes they may fight and sustain injuries (my larger female RCC had attacked my smaller male RCC and his arm was 85% torn off after she grabbed his arm).

The water temp stays around 70-75.
I keep them in fresh water, and I have a 29 gallon tank with sort of a beach set up (sand sloping down to transition into water) I also have a large piece of drift wood and a bunch of plant ornaments for them to climb and play on. I feed them once in the morning and once at night I usually make sure that they've both eaten at least 2-3 bloodworms each. When I bought the female she was already missing a claw but they never seemed to fight.

Back
Top Bottom