Red Claw Crab or Blue Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sky-raptor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am a newbie and need some tips .... I have a Biology project, where I have to get a freshwater crustacean (crayfish, shrimp, or crab) and I am deciding either a red claw crab or a blue crayfish. Which one of the two will last till September?

I read that the red claw crabs need air to live and can escape. Does the crayfish do the same thing as well? I read that the crayfish can live just in freshwater with a cave?

Any tips would be great!

Red claw crabs are escape artists-my cousin had one crawl out of its tank, down the stairs and behind some other junk. The blue crayfish will grow quickly.

I have a redclaw crab as long as you cover the tank he is just fine and let the water level down so he can climp out to the surface wonder creature to look at for hours. mine jumps from on decorative place to another and swims up for about four inches.

All my crabs ever do is hide! Be advised... it will probably happen you too. Mine are fiddler crabs, Uca Spp. though, not red claws. However I would expect most crabs to act the same way. They're a kick to watch when they're out and about though. =)

unknown_7 said:
What is your biology project about, it sounds really interesting. Just curious.

We had to get in groups of 4 and he has 18 tanks / groups open for all of his Biology classes. So there were more than 18 groups and he did a lottery drawing and we were picked. (Oh yeah, the project is extra credit :D ) Then for each tank, there is a different topic. Freshwater crustacean, turtile, fish, etc. We picked the freshwater crustacean.

Thats about it! :D

Back
Top Bottom