Red claw crabs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am interested in getting my 2 yr old son a red claw crab or 2 in a 2.5 gallon tank for his room. I have found complete opposite info on google staying freshwater and brackish, completely submerged and not. Just wondering if anybody has any and could give me some real facts about these guys

Attachments

• image-4136712584.jpg
    image-4136712584.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3334171496.jpg
    image-3334171496.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2907278577.jpg
    image-2907278577.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2,367
While I don't have red clawed crabs, I had looked into getting some for my tank and decided against it. From what I've read and heard from others, they cannot be in a tank where they are fully submerged (which is why I couldn't get one).

I've also noticed that when red clawed crabs are given the opportunity to climb out of the water, they will. Just from looking at the picture you posted, you can see that the crabs are hanging out on their little "island". This makes me think that they prefer a partially submerged environment where they can take a break from underwater fun.

Regarding the salt issue.... there's a lot of debate about whether or not they need salt. I'm going to leave this question up to someone who actually owns them.

Thanks for the response. I was planning on having a section maybe 3-4 inches deep with water and the rest a sandy with pebbles and what-not. Maybe a piece of driftwood but nothing going too high into the tank. The next thing is will I have to routinely change this maybe half gallon of water or can I just replenish the evaporation and be ok? I'm sure the parameters will be out of whack but as long as they aren't living under water it should be ok is my way of thinking. Another thing is I have heard crabs require a form of calcium to help them molt correctly. Will they eat their own molts or should I put some sea shells in there? Someone correct me if in wrong. Even if you didn't keep specificly red crabs I figure all freshwater crabs have some of the same nutritional needs. Is this a let-down waiting to happen? It seems like I might go through a few crabs before I find a good medium but I don't like going into things completely blind.

I have red claw crabs in my 90gal. tank.I got aroud the problem of dry ground and air to breathe buy purchasing an Atlantis underwater island its a biosphere on the bottom of the tank with an entrance so they can come and go as they please and also has a feeder tube option to feed them in thier new habitat crickets are fun to feed them as they will chase them down. can't remember the website google atlantis underwater island and do some looking my crabs love thier new home and haven't tried to climb out since. good luck and have fun with ur new crabs

Back
Top Bottom