Red Clawed Crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spazshark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here's the basic info: I have a 30 gal tank with a filter and a heater available. Right now I have a fancy goldfish and two o. nana crayfish with snipped claws in it. I caught the crayfish because when I'm gone for a long time my fish-sitter overfeeds really bad. There is still a lot of waste, so I was looking at red clawed crabs as an interesting addition. My crayfish do fine in slightly brackish water, and so does my goldfish and I keep the water at about 70*. I want three red clawed crabs. Would they be fine at 70* and hardly salty but still salted water? Also, do they swim or just twiddle around on their legs and climb? I was thinking about getting a turtle deck for them as land until I looked them up and everybody else has stairs and ropes etc. Any info helps! Thx guys! I've got no experience on crabs period. That's why I'm here ;)

The crabs need real brackish water - made with marine salt and not just aquarium salt. There is a pretty big difference between the two, and you can't make brackish water without marine salt. I'm not sure if the goldfish or crayfish will be able to tolerate the. 1.008 specific gravity the crabs need. Also, if you do a floating land area, the crayfish could very likely use it to escape.

Why not just tell your fish sitter not to feed so much, or measure out daily amounts into bags or a medicine organizer?

Back
Top Bottom