Red Devil Cichlid Not Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No offense but the fish shop is trying to just sell you a bunch of very incompatible fish. Yellow bullheads are a native fish not really suited with tropicals, they reach sizes of 15". Bala sharks grow up to 14" and they are social schooling fish better off with 4-5 others, they will spook easy being alone and possible injuring itself. The common plec will reach sizes of 18"+ and is a huge waste of valuable bioload space. Dwarf gouramis are shy little timid fish and will easily be stressed to the point of illness. It's great you got a large tank but IMO your stocking it all wrong. My best advice from all your recent purchases from that shop is stop listening to them, they are simply selling you fish on their best interest not yours and certainly not the fish.

HUKIT said:
No offense but the fish shop is trying to just sell you a bunch of very incompatible fish. Yellow bullheads are a native fish not really suited with tropicals, they reach sizes of 15". Bala sharks grow up to 14" and they are social schooling fish better off with 4-5 others, they will spook easy being alone and possible injuring itself. The common plec will reach sizes of 18"+ and is a huge waste of valuable bioload space. Dwarf gouramis are shy little timid fish and will easily be stressed to the point of illness. It's great you got a large tank but IMO your stocking it all wrong. My best advice from all your recent purchases from that shop is stop listening to them, they are simply selling you fish on their best interest not yours and certainly not the fish.

Thanks very much for the info...

Can you tell me what in that list I should pick to stock with? Or should I make it a cichlid tank? The PH from my tap is 7.8

By the way I have not purchased any of these fish yet. I'm simply just saying what the previous owner of the tank has and is willing to sell me. But now I know I shouldn't mix them all

Cichlids have always been my passion and I think I should keep it a cichlid tank... What do you advise?

I sort of want to move bubba in the 125g but what would be good tank mates?

Thanks

Thanks very much for the info...

Can you tell me what in that list I should pick to stock with? Or should I make it a cichlid tank? The PH from my tap is 7.8

It really depends on what your looking to do with that tank. The bichir is a cool fish and so are clown loaches especially when they reach 8-12" but throwing them a together is wrong. I would put the two female Jack's and the RD along with the bichir, the bristlenose and some smaller either fish and call it a day.

HUKIT said:
It really depends on what your looking to do with that tank. The bichir is a cool fish and so are clown loaches especially when they reach 8-12" but throwing them a together is wrong. I would put the two female Jack's and the RD along with the bichir, the bristlenose and some smaller either fish and call it a day.

Awesome. I really wanted that dragon looking fish. so the JD, RD, bichir... Clown loaches can't go with them?

What smaller fish can I put in? What about my apollo shark and burleyi?

Can u list all the compatible fish in that list I sent? Thx!

The clowns could be in there for awhile but at some point with the Bichir, and three fish hitting the 10-12" range( RD&JD's), bristlenose, they will need to be rehomed. As far as the smaller dithers for movement I prefer small schools of Congo or Buenas Aires tetras or a Giant Danios. My final list would be,

Red Devil
Jack Dempsey's
Sengal Bichir
Brislenose plec
Convicts or Honduran Red Points(a pair) preferably...less aggressive.

HUKIT said:
The clowns could be in there for awhile but at some point with the Bichir, and three fish hitting the 10-12" range( RD&JD's), bristlenose, they will need to be rehomed. As far as the smaller dithers for movement I prefer small schools of Congo or Buenas Aires tetras or a Giant Danios. My final list would be,

Red Devil
Jack Dempsey's
Sengal Bichir
Brislenose plec
Convicts or Honduran Red Points(a pair) preferably...less aggressive.

So the polypterus delhezi is ok? That's a birchir right?

Ok so Bubba has been consistently eating every day, and it seems like each day he begins eating faster and faster, and he's starting to regain his color! Very happy about that... and he's going to love his 125g tank...

So for the 125g this should work? ...

- Red Devil
- 2 Jack Dempsys
- Apollo Shark (?)
- Burleyi (?)
- Birchir
- Convicts (I can buy 3 good sized ones at the LFS)
- Bristlenose Pleco

Any other suggestions to make it seem more full? The LFS has a really nice big cat fish with really long whiskers, I don't know the name of it, but I will take pics next time I'm there... apparently he was kept in their 150g tank along with the RD, 2 JD, Apollo, Convicts, with little to no problems i guess, actually one of the JD is getting beat up and I think the aggressor is the other JD, i found a new bite mark on him this morning on his side... on a positive note he is a lot more healthy ever since i added a fluval 304 onto the tank and did 2 50% PWC... he swims very quick and is not gasping for breath now and has the biggest appetite out of all the fish in the tank combined lol

thanks hukit for helping me through bubbas starvation period lol :)

The apollo shark, the borlylei, and the extra convict is to much. If your keeping those other fish them it's like this...

RD
JD's
Apollo
Borlylei
Bristlenose Plec

That's 4 fish in the 10-12" range, with the others that's plenty. I know it hard to imagine now but wait till they get big.

The apollo shark, the borlylei, and the extra convict is to much. If your keeping those other fish them it's like this...

RD
JD's
Apollo
Borlylei
Bristlenose Plec

That's 4 fish in the 10-12" range, with the others that's plenty. I know it hard to imagine now but wait till they get big.

ok but can't i keep them for awhile when they're small? most of them arent anywhere close to full size yet...

so from what i understand these fish will be ok long term?

RD
JD's
Apollo
Borlylei
Bristlenose Plec

and adding the convicts will be too much? can you list some other fish that might do well in this setup? I thought I could add the birchir if it wasnt too aggressive? I'd really like to do the following:

RD
JD's
Apollo
Borlylei
Bristlenose Plec
...plus Birchir and 3 Convicts and possibly a catfish...

I don't mind rehoming in the future if it starts getting crowded....

thanks... and going by the 1 inch per gallon rule, i dont think that's 125 inches of fish?

The one per rule is old school way of thinking that in reality doesn't hold any value, imagine twelve 1" tetras and compare to a 12" oscar its the same amount of inches, that's where that theory is completely flawed.

HUKIT said:
The one per rule is old school way of thinking that in reality doesn't hold any value, imagine twelve 1" tetras and compare to a 12" oscar its the same amount of inches, that's where that theory is completely flawed.

Good point. You're a fish genius lol

Wow bubba just ate a whole batch of pellets in under 30 seconds today... I think it's safe to say he's hooked haha

Good news on making the switch, he'll be better off in the long run. So we can close this one down I think.

Yeah we can start bringing it to a close, I'd just like to post pictures of the new 125g tank when i get it setup next week, and i'll post pics of him in it, perhaps a video too... thanks for the help... hes eating every day just fine now and his color is slowly coming back :)

Back
Top Bottom