Red Devil Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very good point I'm sorry I forgot to mention it. Lowering the temp can help decrees aggression, but like all fish it's really all based on the individual. My tank is at 72. Lowered from 78. And I notice no difference. But with fish in the past it has worked for me.

Good luck. Keep us posted I'd like to know how it works out for ya.

how often do u feed veggies? this could help as there is no meat product and can reduce agression - in some cases.
good luck and keep us posted! x

I didnt know i was supposed to feed veggies. What type?? I will keep you guys posted...

I thought red devils were carnivorous tho? Just curious. I know my oscars are... But I could give them blanched veggies like I do the rest of the tanks.... Like I said just curious...

HB87 said:
I didnt know i was supposed to feed veggies. What type?? I will keep you guys posted...

I blanch zucinni for my mbuna and bristlenose... Also love deshelled peas, shredded carrots, spinach, my plecos love blanched potatoes too...

Drop it in boiling water for about 1.5 -2 min..... I drop mine in ice water after...

Blanching is where you shock the food. You put it in boiling water and remove after a minute and put it in ice.

I don't believe feeding minnows is a complete diet and also has a lot of risks with it. You don't what diseases the feeders have, what nutrition they are bringing in, and all of that. I would recommend finding a more reliable source than a chain store and maybe consider a staple pellet if he will take it. Maybe mix in other things too, like frozen foods, veggies, snails, shrimp.

they are carnivorous, however if they can get nutrients from anything that wont make them shred your hand then why not give it a shot? lol. my oscars like peas :) x

Okay... I do give her baby snails every few days as a treat. She eats 2 types of pellets and i give her shrimp treat every few days. I tried peas but she didnt eat any. I will try the blanching thing. I need to fix her airstones but im scared to put my hand in the tank :-/ haha

They are just up agianst the back of her tank. I tried fixing them and she just tore them back up lol. She has a fixation with grabbing the tube with her mouth and plowing the airstones into the glass :-/ they are both on their side at the front of her tank agian... I dont know what to do.. I tried putting aquarium rock to hold them down but she rammed it til the rock was off.

how about getting a cutlery basket (the tallish plastic ones with wide square holes), digging it in the substrate so its firmly in, then putting the bubbler through there? so its not sharp to hurt her and should be firm enough to stop her pulling it up?
i adore your devil, it sounds amazing!!

Because red devils / Midas are notorious diggers. The substrate is always being moved and pushed around. It's the reason you see a lot of bare bottom RD tanks out there. That and the aggression during wc's.

She has no substrate. I tried gravel and i've tried sand. She fixates on it so she has bare bottom now probably indefinately lol. She basicly has a bare tank, no plants or aquarium decorations. I dont want to remove her airstones though so i really wish she'd leave them be.

What is that and where do you get it? Im willing to try really anything at this point. She is my first fish and first aquarium of my own so i'm still a lil new to everything but i'm learning! :)

where a power head goes, the output where the normal flow comes from should be able to adapt to a pipe with a 90 degree angle to hover above the water and release water from multiple holes along the pipe.
the normal output usually is a circular attatchment with a wide flow creator fitting (cant hink of the words sorry). remove the attatchment, put in pipe with the holes along it.
31myralsMqL._SL500_SL160_[1].jpg
one possibility
imagesCA1G7ALT.jpg
another, for a hood filtration system
imagesCAVI7U2A.jpg
the bottom pipe, should have holes in but this is what i mean xx

im sorry iim tired, try and understand what u can :) x x

Back
Top Bottom