Red Finned Shark - Just Making Sure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willanderz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey AA,
I got two Red Finned Sharks yesterday and I just wanted to make sure that they didn't have any special needs or anything like that, they are in a 37 gallon community tank with neutral ph aand seem to be doing great so far :D

Not really, they will eat most left overs - you might have some bother with him and your Apistos though, they will share the same area of tank and both will not like either in there area.

Hey AA,
I got two Red Finned Sharks yesterday and I just wanted to make sure that they didn't have any special needs or anything like that, they are in a 37 gallon community tank with neutral ph aand seem to be doing great so far :D

By red-finned, if your referring to Rainbow sharks, then a 37gal is not suitable for one, let alone two. IMO, A single RBS requires a 55gal with territories for it to claim. As juveniles, which LFS's commonly carry, they're calmer and they'll tolerate each other. BUT as they mature(up to 4inches) they're territorial aggression kicks in and one may kill the other.

They are roughly 3 in. at the moment, and seem to be pals haha, I'll watch them for issues and I'll do whatever needs to be done to fix it. My tank has many spots and places to hide, but if that's not enough than I'll return one of them. Thanks for letting me know

Hi, sorry I didn't see you had more than one. The previous comment is correct reference there disdain for each other when they mature, I work in an aquatics shop and any we have that start to mature are separated into other tanks for a good reason. Like all creatures it's down to the individual fish, I've seen some do well and be relatively peaceful with there tank mates and yet others that will not tolerate anything in its area, including Corydoras, Pleco's and Dwarf Cichlids. I'd pick your favourite and return the other, but you still might have issues with the Apisto pair especially at there breeding time.

Okay thanks, I'll watch them and if they start fighting, I'll exchange one. Thanks, I don't know when I'll be able to get to the lfs anytime soon but I'll try

Here they are, they are always together

ForumRunner_20130129_185342.jpg
Haven't seen any aggression yet, but I'm watching closely

Back
Top Bottom