Red fire gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey. so i bought a red fire gourami yesturday (mango) and he is beutifull yesturday he was very shy and swam away when i got close. he didnt do this today but he is not eating he see's the food and swims to it fast but eats it and spits it out with both his granular and flake foods. is he still stressed or is he just fussy what can i do ?:fish2:

Stressed I would say, give it time, but if it persists for more than 1 week i would take it back. Seems weird to see him eating food and spit it right way, never happened here.

He will come around when he gets hungrier. Some fish are fussy at first. You could try bloodworms to entice him to eat, or a garlic additive.

--Adeeb

Got some frozen blood worms his belly does look a little full got him like that and I want to transport him to my new 16 g tomorrow (set up yesterday ) the new filter was in my est tank for 3 days and has an old sponge in it the tank has all my established tanks decorations so it should be cycled right? and will this not stress him to much

Got some frozen blood worms his belly does look a little full got him like that and I want to transport him to my new 16 g tomorrow (set up yesterday ) the new filter was in my est tank for 3 days and has an old sponge in it the tank has all my established tanks decorations so it should be cycled right? and will this not stress him to much

If the old sponge was running in another tank before that i think its alright, put some flakes on it, to see if the bacteria will consume it, or just try with the fish, testing the water daily.

When do you think is a good time to add mango ? I don't know if I mentioned it in my first post but I already have 3 black widow tetras and a guppy so the bacteria has something to consume all the decorations from my old tank can they remove the ammonia and trates just by them selves?

Was the old sponge that you put in this aquarium running in another tank before?
Decorations do have some bacteria too but the sponge is the one that carry most of them.
If you have a water test, test the water from the tank that you have the tetras and guppy to see if its all stabilised, if it is you can add the mango right way.
If its not, and you want to keep him in the tank that hes already in until you get the other tank stabilised. Just make sure to do daily water changes with a good conditioner to get it cycled.

If not an expert, im saying all that ive learnt this days ;p

Thanks you've been such a help if you don't mind can you please check out my thread "20 g stocking list " my last post is very important and I'm not getting any replies

Can you post a pic of your gourami? I'd love to see him. My Betta and gourami both spit out food at first. But soon they relaxed and ate. Mine looovvee Hikari Spirulina Brine Shrimp. Good luck!

Thanks you've been such a help if you don't mind can you please check out my thread "20 g stocking list " my last post is very important and I'm not getting any replies
No bother, i already answer your other topic.
Keep asking questions if you still in doubt.

torres said:
Stressed I would say, give it time, but if it persists for more than 1 week i would take it back. Seems weird to see him eating food and spit it right way, never happened here.

Stress is a possibility but these fish are very shy and timid.

It took a week of me hand feeding my HG before it came out to feed with the rest.

You should see it out in the tank more and more as its confidence grows, mine is now first in line for chow :)

Stress is a possibility but these fish are very shy and timid.

It took a week of me hand feeding my HG before it came out to feed with the rest.

You should see it out in the tank more and more as its confidence grows, mine is now first in line for chow :)
Yes they are timid, ive been reading alot about them those days because im thinking about to buy one, but just 1, because more would over stock in my point of view :(
Anyway, i still in doubt between Honey Gourami and Dwarf Gourami, ive seen people saying that honey gourami get along better with other fish.

I already have 5 red eye tetras, 2 mollies, 3 neon tetras, i know i need to increase my neon tetra school but when i went to the store last Sunday there was none of them.
My fish are all good with each other, so do you think 1 dwarf gourami, a honey or not, would be fine?

I think your tank would be full after the few extra neons.

Mollies fill up a tank a fair bit lol!
i was thinking about that too :(
what i like about them is their nice colour, and 1 large colourful fish would look cool there. even knowing that my mollies are non stop fish, and i love them.
When i got another 2 red eye tetras last Sunday, my tank look away more alive, it even came with a fry LOL.

Cool, i've seen that they need live plants and places to hide isnt it.
I only have fake plants, 1 ship and 1 cave that he would fit in i guess.

So many cool fishes to choose around, just after i start with mine i discovered alot more.
but i dont regret with the ones i have, i love them :D

torres said:
Cool, i've seen that they need live plants and places to hide isnt it.
I only have fake plants, 1 ship and 1 cave that he would fit in i guess.

So many cool fishes to pick from, just after i start with mine i discovered alot more.
but i dont regret with the ones i have, i love them :D

They do indeed, I've planned my tank around its needs. Lots of plants and hide aways lol

They do indeed, I've planned my tank around its needs. Lots of plants and hide aways lol
Yes, im thinking about making my next tank with live plants.
Im even thinking about selling my PS3 for it, bigger tank and live plants.

kinda crazy i know but..

I recently switched over to a tropical tank from a goldfish tank (only 10 gallons). A fire dwarf gourami was my first tropical fish. At Petco, it was the nicest looking fire DG, but was also the least social and was hiding in the very back. I put it in my tank all by itself and, like your fish, it refused to eat. There were a few times where I saw him taste the food, but spit it out.

After about a week of not eating, I added three platies. They went crazy during feeding time, but the DG still refused to eat. After about two weeks, it was clear the fish was getting weak and would just deteriorate over time. Within a couple more days, it died.

I brought the dead fish back to Petco for replacement. This time I went for a more social fish and even made sure he was trying to eat stuff in their tank. After acclimating him a little bit in my tank, I released him with the three platies but did not do the first feeding until the next morning. Of course the platies were in a feeding frenzy but I was also very pleased to see the DG fighting for some food. Another couple weeks have passed and this guy is still doing great. He is very active, in a gentle way, and eats every time.

In short, while I am simply sharing my experience, my gut feeling is that it is possible that some fish simply do not adapt to new environments as much as others. As a result, they may stress out and die. I will say that with the first fish I was mostly tring to feed sinking little pellets, bythe time I swicted to flakes, it may have been too late. My current DG loves the flakes.

Also make sure your water quality is up to snuff, because that can add stress.

Thank you all I will try to get a photo of mango but he is really fast and shy of the camera but not shy of me ????

Any way he did come with a full belly

Attachments

• image-534677400.jpg
    image-534677400.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1690914375.jpg
    image-1690914375.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3315104616.jpg
    image-3315104616.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 74
Back