Red Gooey Lump in Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MuffinThePuffin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My betta has fin rot so I have been changing his water every day to try and help minimize the bacteria in his water. The size of his fins is rapidly decreasing, his head and gills are much darker than they used to be, and he only has half of the frill that comes out when he flares up. I changed his water often because he is not in a filtered tank. The tank is a 1 gallon tank with a bubble rock. I was about to move him into a larger tank with a filter, but the medicine I am using for his fins says you should remove the filter. I purify the water before I put him in, and have recently started using aquarium salt.

When I was changing his water today I saw the usual bits of what I assume are parts of his fins as they are deteriorating at a fast rate now when I saw a gooey red lump in the water. It was not a dark red, but bright red with some white on the edges. It looked like snot honestly.

Can anyone tell me what this is and if there is anything I can do for him?
Any advice on treating rapid fin rot would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

What kind of meds are you using for his fin rot?
How often do you normally change part of his water?
Is your tank cycled?
Do you have a heater in there for him? What is the temp of the water?
What do you feed him?
Does the tank get any natural sunlight?

I wish that I would have had the idea to take a picture of it. I'll be looking for another one when I change his water out tonight as I hear that red gooey things come back.
I am using Jungle Fungus Clear and aquarium salt to treat him. Before I heard that a daily 100% water change helps clear up fin rot I changed about 1/3 to 1/2 of his water every week with a complete chance every other week. I do not have a heater for him, but he is close to my heater. The water temp is always around 75 degrees (I am living in a very hot room so they can be comfortable. I might have a problem). I switch between TetraMin Tropical Flakes and BettaMin Tropical Medley for his food. He seems to prefer the flakes. Monday is the day that he "fasts." The tank does not get any natural sunlight

What do you feed it?

my QT tanks always have moldy food at the bottom, the flake molds up and fungus start(white edges)
It wouldnt be its fin as fin rot does just that, rot, it doesnt break off it "melts" away

I feed him TetraMin Tropical Flakes and BettaMin Tropical Medley alternating every other day. I understand that is what fin rot does. I leave for an hour, and when I come back half of his tail fin is missing. It could be the food though... I didn't think that I fed him enough to create a mass that big though.
I had just done a 100% water change the night before if that makes any difference.

Also, with tonight's water change no mysterious lump appeared.

Who told you to do a 100% water change? You should never do a 100% change, since you risk killing all of your good bacteria. Better to do more smaller water changes, leaving the betta in the tank.
Since he is in such a small tank, you should change 30-50% of the water three times a week, every week. While he has the fin rot, do the 30-50% changes every day. Are the fins black around the edges? If not, he could be biting his tail off, and it's not fin rot. One of my bettas did that for a while, and has just now stopped after about 8 months. Sometimes the male bettas will bite their tail fins off because they are too heavy.
Also, since you don't have a heater, he might never heal, since bettas need water 78-82*.
I would suggest getting him some pellets, and throw the flakes away. Flakes bloat bettas. Never feed bettas any food meant for other fish. I like Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets, and you can get the little cardboard pack for like $3, which will last about 3-6 months.
With bettas, make sure that you only use 1/2 doses of meds, and if there is ever any specific directions for tetras, use the same for the bettas. Never use salt with them for more than 10 days, since it can cause kidney failure. :( Salt does not evaporate, so you will have to manually remove it, and make sure you dissolve it before you put it in the tank.

Oh, thank you. It was something I read on a couple different betta websites while researching fin rot.
No his fins are not black around the edges, but every one is frayed and ragged with pinholes. His swimming fins (no clue what they are called) are also full of the pinholes and starting to fray. The edges of his fins have a white-ish clear film around them.

Back
Top Bottom