Red Honey Gourami or Thick Lipped - Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meliodas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all, I just bought these Red Honey Gourami from a reputable fish store. However, I am now worried that they are not Honey Gourami at all and will grow to a size that I cannot contain. They were sold as a male and female couple, but I also have doubts of their sex. Thank you for all the advice in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4844.jpg
    IMG_4844.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 281
Its hard to tell because they look so much alike. Probably the easiest way to tell will be when they grow up. Thick lipped gouramis will be about 1 1\2" longer than a honey gourami coming in around 3 to 3 1\2". For sexing them look at the end of the dorsal fins. Females will be rounded and males will be pointed. The top one looks to be female and I can't really tell on the bottom one since its not a clear picture. It also kind of looks like it might have some fin damage? Again hard to tell.

Sorry for not so great pictures, I will upload more

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 78
Pretty sure those are thick lipped gourami. Basing it off the body and fin shape.

Here are a couple more pictures of them. They have gotten along great with everybody in the tank so far, they are very small however. Granted they look bigger in pictures, they are not over an inch long. I guess all I can do is wait and see how big they get..

Attachments

• IMG_4849.jpg
    IMG_4849.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4850.jpg
    IMG_4850.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4851.jpg
    IMG_4851.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 81
Check in

Hey all, its been awhile and I wanted to follow up on my "Red Honey Gourami". They have grown very little, if at all, and I am still unsure of what they really are. Any further input would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG_5010.jpg
    IMG_5010.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 116
Only reason I am curious is because thick lipped gourami get to be 3-4 inches. I've had them for 3 months now with no growth and I feed them a vast diet of frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, daphnia, and new life spectrum pellets. No growth that I can see. They are max 1 and a half inches. Do thick lip gourami grow extremely slow?

Back
Top Bottom