Red leaf Ludwigia, Red Rapens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShrimpGangster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I have a 10 gallon tank with what I believe is an Aqueon floramax t8 flourescent 15 watt light. In the tank I have a few guppies, platys, and gouramies but my question is about my red leaf Ludwigia rapens which I got a few weeks ago. The leaves are shedding off and I understand that this plant requires medium to high lighting at 2 to 4 watts per gallon which my 1.5 watts per gallon doesn't fulfill. I went out looking for a 20 watt bulb that would fit into my lighting fixture with no luck, the only watts for my size of light was 15 or 17 watts and the watts only increase with the length of the bulb. Can someone give me some advice on how to fix my problems and successfully save my red leaf Ludwigia without getting a larger tank? Thanks

Hey ShrimpGanster.. welcome to AA! Let's start off by getting more info about your tank and setup. For instance, how long has this tank been up and running for? Dimensions? Substrate? And what type of fertilizer are you dosing? In terms of lighting upgrade, what's your budget looking like?

Brian_Nano12g said:
Hey ShrimpGanster.. welcome to AA! Let's start off by getting more info about your tank and setup. For instance, how long has this tank been up and running for? Dimensions? Substrate? And what type of fertilizer are you dosing? In terms of lighting upgrade, what's your budget looking like?

Well my tank has been running for about one month. I will have to get the dimensions because it's at my girlfriends house but it's a standard 10 gallon im thinking 20x10x12 with gravel and I'm not using any fertilizer at the moment. As of now I'm in a tight situation with money because of some school and traffic obligations I must attend to but I will be getting into some new work soon that will allow me to spend a little on that. Under 100 dollars would be preferred though because that would be the most expensive part of the tank by far. This would be my first planted tank I'm doing on my own so I'm learning as I go along and I'm trying to research as much as I can before I rush into anything. I hope the information provided can give you a better idea of my situation. Any suggestions would help and are much appreciated.

Yeah i can understand when money is tight.. Balancing lighting and fertilization with a good substrate are all important factors in the health of your plants, especially for those fast growing stem plants. I'm not an expert in lighting but if i were in your shoes, i'd start with upgrading the fixture. Perhaps someone here can give you a recommendation. But from what I've learned, the whole watts per gallon measurement only applies to standard 'NO' (normal output) bulbs. When you step up to T5 HO bulbs, the watts per gallon isn't the same due to the higher quality reflectors and so forth.

With that said, you can buy a 24w T5 HO fixture from Catalina Lighting for about $60. http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_198_200&products_id=1834 as one example. I'm sure they're might be other options, you'll just have to research and see what's best for your needs. On the other hand, there's the HO LED options now too.. Finnex Ray II 24"daylight fixture would give you excellent lighting for under $100. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008RMFDEG/ref=mp_s_a_2?pi=SL75&qid=1348517193&sr=8-2

The advantage of LED's is that you don't have to change the bulbs every year or so. Plus power consumption is significantly less for the amount of light you get, which the fixture pays for itself over time. Just something to consider.

As for using gravel as a substrate. Its definitely not the best choice for a planted tank. Trust me, i know first hand. I just recently switched out my standard gravel on my 12g nano cube to Caribsea Floramax and my plants love it. I can tell just by how the root systems are when i pull a stem out. Also by how the dwarf hairgrass roots are by the front glass. I would recommend changing the substrate. I got my 12lbs bag at Petsmart for $10. You can also use Eco Complete or Fluorite. However, using just gravel is not totally out of the question. You can get some root tabs and stick then in the gravel to help your plants out.

I also recommend injecting co2. You can setup a DIY co2 system for very cheap. There's how to videos on YouTube, how to's in the forums, etc. I just set mine up about a couple months ago. It's like the 'holy grail' (as one AA member here put it) of amazing plant growth (when mixed with proper lighting and ferts).

Lastly, you need to consider a way of supplementing your plants with nutrients. You can do the root tabs as i mentioned, along with a bottle of Seachem Flourish and Excel. You can supplement some Iron and Potash with API Leaf Zone. Or, invest in some dry ferts you mix up and dose using a popular method of dosing by planted tank enthusiasts (see EI dosing vs. PPS-pro). Going dry ferts is a little more challenging but saves you money in the long run. But to keep things simple, I'd probably start off with Flourish, Excel, and Leaf Zone.

Sorry if my response was super long. Just trying to be thorough and cover all the bases I can. LMK, if i can help. Good luck!

Thanks Brian_nano12g. I appreciate the suggestions. I'll look into the new lighting and substrate and I'll experiment with some co2 and fertilizers. All things that will cost me some time and money to get started. Hopefully my red rapens will be alright until I get something going. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom