Red Leg Hermits and Nassarius Snails Eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

franktobia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do Red leg hermits and nassarius snails need to be fed in a new tank. It's a 37 gallon and the first fish probably won't go in for another week so they won't be able to eat poop or anything. I have flakes, shrimp pellets, and algae wafers from my freshwater tank so i'm not sure if they would like any of that or how much. Lady at fish store did not know much about them so i didn't get that good of an answer.

Thanks for being so helpful as usual!

Snails and hermits eat algae and decaying gunk. They don't care that it is for your freshwater fish...that is just something we came up with. I would be more interested if your tank is being cycled properly and that your LFS would sell you livestock before this.

Snails and hermits eat algae and decaying gunk. They don't care that it is for your freshwater fish...that is just something we came up with. I would be more interested if your tank is being cycled properly and that your LFS would sell you livestock before this.

Dude I don't know. They gave me this bacteria stuff to pour in a few days ago and it seemed like it worked because when they tested the water today all my parameters were good

I wouldn't trust bacteria in a bottle , why ? there is no such thing as a instant cycle! so I would also be concerned about if your even cycled ,

Lady at fish store did not know much about them so i didn't get that good of an answer.
the Lady at the store didn't know much but you trust what they say about your water tests ? that right there put up a red flag.

so what were the readings did they tell you and give a slip with all the readings or did they just say oh there good . a reputable shop would show you all the tests along with providing a slip with all the readings to compare with the next set you have done with your next visit.

I do recommend you get your own test kit . it will save you time if you start having issues being able to see what is going on instantly rather than wait to go to the store.

that time can be the difference to correct any problems that can arise, it could save your stock as you can correct whats wrong . remember time is valuable when it comes to your stock . save you time money and maybe your stock . a $25 kit can help you know what is going on.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust bacteria in a bottle , why you ask there is no such thing as a instant cycle so I would also be concerned about if your even cycled ,

the Lady at the store didn't know much but you trust what they say about your water tests ? that right there put up a red flag.
so what were the readings did they tell you and give a slip with all the readings or did they just say oh there good . a reputable shop would show you all the tests along with providing a slip with all the readings to compare with the next set you have done with your next visit.
I do recommend you get your own test kit . it will save you time if you start having issues being able to see what is going on instantly rather than wait to go to the store.
that time can be the difference to correct any problems that can arise, it could actually help you . remember time is valuable when it comes to your stock . save you time money and maybe your stock . a $25 kit can help you know what is going on

The lady didn't know much about the snails and the hermits, assuming she knows how to do water test. She showed me the strips and everything look good. I'm going to pick up a test kit the next time I go to the LFS

Cycle. Patience, cycle, more patience. It will pay off and your only talking a month or so. Toss a piece of shrimp in, in a bag. The crabs will eat it and it will cycle the tank and may not kill everything as you do cycle. The CUC is tougher than they get credit for. And stick with the smaller snails they seem to work harder. ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom