red lotus leaves too big.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeanette

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi again,

I have a beautiful red lotus plant in my 40 gal community tank but the leaves are growing to over 6 inches wide and are out of proportion to the tank. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks,

Jeanette :)

I had some a long time ago, and I think that its continuously sending up new leaves, so you can probably "prune" the big leaves and keep the newer ones. If it isn't, I'd wait for another solution.

Thanks Danny,

I wish it would not get so big as the leaves are truly beautiful and it is painful to kill them.

Jeanette

I have to constantly trim my red tiger lotus. The big leaves and the leaves sent to the surface get sniped.

Tiger lotus can actually be used in a pond because it gets so large. In order to keep it in an aquarium, it is maintanence intensive.

Luckily, the tiger lotus is also very resiliant. I put in some silver dollars who ate every single leaf of the plant. It came back like nothing happened.

Red Lotus Plant

Thank you for responding. I have started to trim. Do you know if this plant could be planted in our backyard goldfish pond. I live in Michigan City thought maybe it would work in our pond during the summer.

Thanks again.

Jeanette

technically you're no suppose to release anything from your aquarium outside. If the pond is secluded it might be ok. I personally could care less what you put outside but people will say it could have the potential of hurting the ecosystem.

Back
Top Bottom