Red Ramshorn Snail Takeover!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimAnnKitz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I made the mistake of buying 5 red ramshorn snails in January or February. Since I knew they would breed (but had no idea how prolifically) I put them in separate tanks. I don't think that mattered as they apparently had already bred and now I have 3 tanks that are overrun by the snails. I have even found the red snails in tanks they were never in... One of those tanks is away from the others and has never had anything from any other tank near it! I pick them out and suck them out and there's always more...and more...and more. They are starting to drive me nuts!!!! :eek: I do need to mention that I also have mystery snails and absolutely love them. I am wondering what fish or snail I could get that would eat the small snails and leave my mystery snails alone? I do put an algae wafer or other food in the tanks to attract them and then get out as many as I can when they are feeding. Doesn't matter. In a week I will have just as many as I removed, maybe more. I have the nuisance snails in a 16 gallon tank, a 5 gallon betta tank and a 4 gallon betta tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have yo yo loaches which took a bit but cleaned them out. They clean out all snails though so I'd put the ones you want in a bucket.

In the end you might have one tank with no mysteries if you do that. But I'm not seeing anything else working.

Wait! if your mysteries are big, you could put in one assassin snail. They don't go for the big ones.

However, one probabbly won't keep up and if you get more, they will gang up on the mystery. Maybe you can put the mysteries in a bucket. Grab some assassins and put several in each tank. When the deed is done, you can put the remaining assassins in one or two tanks as a substitute for mysteries being in them.

I might suggest cleaning the smaller tanks out thoroughly with hot water and soap (rinse well of course). Scrub all corners to remove egg sacs.

Just use got water on any gravel or sand...or just replace it.

Rinse and clean your filter but keep your old media/floss/etc. this will help to avoid a new cycle starting.

Also, keep some old tank water to help avoid an ammonia spike. Strain it through a net to catch any ramshorn snail babies.

I have had the same problem and this is the only effective way to control the problem. I now keep a snail only tank. This is the only tank I allow ramshorns to reside. If I see them elsewhere I usually just squish them.

I might suggest cleaning the smaller tanks out thoroughly with hot water and soap (rinse well of course). Scrub all corners to remove egg sacs.

I have been told and read that washing a tank with soap is the worst thing you can do. I also have live plants in all of these tanks and the fish of course. I really can't tear down the tanks completely and buying new plant substrate can be expensive in a planted tank. Thank you for the suggestion however.

I was wondering about 1 assassin snail in the 16 gallon to help out a bit, as I do have several mysteries in that one. I only have one mystery in each of the other two smaller tanks that could be rehoused temporarily to get rid of the pest snails with assassins. How many assassins in a 5 gallon to take care of the ramshorns?

i always clean a tank with brine (strong salt water ) IT kills most germs and will kill snails
I got yo yo loachs which will eat snails and there eggs and love them , they look like you gave them to much espresso, they never stop moving , they make barbs look lazy , in a larger tank clown loachs will work great also

i always clean a tank with brine (strong salt water ) IT kills most germs and will kill snails
I got yo yo loachs which will eat snails and there eggs and love them , they look like you gave them to much espresso, they never stop moving , they make barbs look lazy , in a larger tank clown loachs will work great also

Aren't my tanks too small for yo yo loachs? I thought you had to have several of them also. I may be wrong. I have juvenile Mollies in the 16 gallon and bettas in the two smaller tanks. Maybe I should have mentioned that too. I do want some companion fish for the mollies as I give the young ones away and reduced the population.... I will look up the loachs'

Ramshorn Snails

Hello Kim...

Too many snails in the tank typically means there's extra food available. Food the fish aren't eating. Adult aquarium fish don't need to eat every day. Gradually reduce the amount you feed and the snail reproduction will slow accordingly.

B

I think if you rinse thoroughly it shouldn't matter that you use soap. Obviously if you don't rinse really well there will be issues. I have never ever had an issue with this method.

The brine method is not one I have heard if before but it sounds effective as well.

If you really don't wAnt to tear down your tanks then continue doing what your doing, also feed less AND scrub the corners and walls if your tank during every water change.

brine was used in the old days before there was so many products , salt was also used to trewat many illnesses , usually works for fungus , fresh (unsalted water ) will do the same thing in a saltwater tank( used to bring my boat up river for a day or so to clean the bottom off , the fresh water kills all the sea weed and barnicals )
the yo yo loachs might eat the molly fry

Her question wasn't addressed XD I would say 2-4 assassins in the five gallon and you can move the group else where once they have done the job.

3 assassin snails in a 47 gallon wiped out my population in just over a month....the more they eat the bigger and more effective they become.

I do agree with Bradbury though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When you remove them, sell them! I found about ten for $60 on eBay. You could make quite a bit of cash selling them there, on amazon, Craigslist or at your LFS. It's more humane than killing them if that's what your doing but you also get money out of it.

NatureFish
????

Puffers would have a field day in your tanks lol

125gal Waiting for C/A cichlids , 55gal African Cichlids , 75gal "wet pet "oscar , 10gal soon to be planted shrimp/snail/endler breeder tank , 56gal soon to be a planted angel tank or Dwarf Puffer tank

Back
Top Bottom