Red sea CO2 Indicator help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just wanted to report back that I just got the 4dkh solution in the mail yesterday. I put it in and sure enough, the indicator color was blueish green, indicating not enough CO2. This makes sense from what I had read here before, that a single bottle of DIY CO2 would not be enough for a fully planted 55g. Big difference from the lime color I was getting when using tank water.

Thanks again for the help!

Great! Sorry I missed this. Like rook said I have been very busy lately. Glad it all worked out and it sounds like you are on your way.

Yea Fort, thanks for the reply. I do have a follow-up though, now that I can have a better read on the CO2 in my tank and know that it is not enough, how many bottles of DIY CO2 do you think I would need in my 55? Would 2 bottles do it maybe? I'm getting closer on deciding to pull the trigger and get a PH controller, regulator and paintball tank, just looking for a way to justify it to the Mrs... ;)

A paintball setup would not be all that efficient for your tank. It wouldn't last very long, even using a big paintball cylinder. A 5lb cylinder is only $55 online, sometimes you can find them cheaper at welding supply stores, or even homebrew/beverage stores. The regulator is $85 shipped, so you're looking at like $150 for the initial setup.

As far as the DIY thing goes, that's definitely a fort question as I don't have any experience with it (none worth mentioning at least).

Thanks Rook! ;) I should be directing all my questions to you, lol

Man, I can't find the regulator at that price, where are you looking? If I go that route I may have to go all the way and get solenoid and PH controller... I figure if I'm making the investment then I want it automated.

They either raised the price, or I told you wrong. It's $89, not $85! $89 - Milwaukee MA957 CO2 Regulator, Free Priority Shipping!

That comes with everything except a pH controller. Honestly, though, there isn't a whole lot of need for one. That's all automated, you just have to set the flow initially, then every time you have to refill. Other than that, you never have to touch it.

Cool, that's not too bad and its encouraging to hear that I may be able to do without the controller. I thought one has to remember to turn off the CO2 at night or find a tank full of dead fish in the morning... That's why I thought I had to have the controller if I start injecting a stronger dose of CO2? how do you do it?

Rook, you're simply brilliant... :) Now why didn't I think of that! haha
Right after I asked the question I thought that maybe I could hook it up to my light's timer, but you're saying de-phase it 1/2 hr, makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom