Red Sea CO2 regulator & solenoid kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. Mine is 150g and it's been going now for about 3 months with co2 and I've only used 5lbs. And I started off with the whole thing wrong...stupid mistakes and didn't read directions all the way. But make sure you weight your co2 tank when it's empty and full so you know the weights and it'll help figure out when it's almost empty.

You know how you want to put the co2 in the tank yet?

Mr.Pleco said:
Nice. Mine is 150g and it's been going now for about 3 months with co2 and I've only used 5lbs. And I started off with the whole thing wrong...stupid mistakes and didn't read directions all the way. But make sure you weight your co2 tank when it's empty and full so you know the weights and it'll help figure out when it's almost empty.

You know how you want to put the co2 in the tank yet?

I have a ceramic diffuser, is that what you're asking?

I never thought about weighing it, thats a good idea.

That's what I was asking. I decided to make a DIY reactor and put it on the outline of my canister so it dissolves more. Reactors are the most efficient way of diffusing.

Mr.Pleco said:
That's what I was asking. I decided to make a DIY reactor and put it on the outline of my canister so it dissolves more. Reactors are the most efficient way of diffusing.

So your filter pulls in the CO2?

Kinda. The controller tells the solenoid when to pull it. At the top of the bubble counter is the tubing. The bubbles pop and the co2 goes through the tube. The tubing runs into the reactor which has water running through it from the canister. The co2 goes in and gets broken up and dissolved.
I like because its one less thing in my tank. That was my big reason for wanting a sump. I had to modify stuff to lower co2 loss though but it's worked.

Hmm i think i understand....i'm gonna have to read up on how the whole CO2 hardware setup works lol

Just noticed you guys saying to put teflon tape on not a good idea you shouldnt need teflon tape because the regulator should attach using a compression fitting if the teflon tape breaks down especially if you use cheap teflon it can jam the pins in your regulator causing problems if you really wanted to be on the safer side you can use mirror which is a paste used for gas connections but you shouldnt have to an if you did use mirror quite sparingly my redsea co2 kit came with a rubber washer which you have to replace everytime you take the regs off the cyliner which is crap because i lost the spare

Just noticed you guys saying to put teflon tape on not a good idea you shouldnt need teflon tape because the regulator should attach using a compression fitting if the teflon tape breaks down especially if you use cheap teflon it can jam the pins in your regulator causing problems if you really wanted to be on the safer side you can use mirror which is a paste used for gas connections but you shouldnt have to an if you did use mirror quite sparingly my redsea co2 kit came with a rubber washer which you have to replace everytime you take the regs off the cyliner which is crap because i lost the spare

The directions say to use Teflon tape on the threads of the cylinder.

"Use Teflon tape on the threads of the cylinder before attaching the regulator, Failure to do this can result in the loss of gas."

Just saying..

I still wouldnt do it id look into mirror but at the end of the day you guys are only following the manufacturers instructions so its no fault of yours but i would use good quality gas teflon tape its thicker and stronger and dosent break down as easilyand clean your threads if you rver dismantle
Oh and put the tap as far away from the end of the thread to avoid loose ends sorry to sound like im telling you what to do i just dont think people should spend so much money on something when it can easily be avoided goodluck

Updates:
- $12.50 to fill the tank.
- Got the reactor built today.
- Received the PH controller and regulator setup today.
- started working on the new plumbing today but ran into a couple snags. Should finish it tomorrow.

View attachment 84412

View attachment 84413

Last edited:
Here it is! So far everything is working great!

Last edited:
Pimp! I just set mine up today as well. Although I couldn't set mine up like yours cause my 406 collects air by design. Keep posting.

I use sicce life 2 unit for carbon dosing and never have to worry about ph crashes or tank cylinders. Plants took off too.

I've heard if the Sicce before but don't know anything about them other than you put the unit in your tank which is what i am trying to do the opposite of :)

I looked into the sicce units because my lfs uses them on a few tanks. Im not a fan of things being in the tank that don't need to be. They are kind of bulky and I'm not a fan. Plus the cartridges will add up, probably cheaper long run to just invest in a system since it can be transferred to any size tank. Ive heard good things about them though.

Well my options ($$$) were limited. I wanted to do full co2 setup but the cost was too much compared to sicce. I can get 4 years with the unit in comparison to the purchase of good co2 components. I wanted the best regulator from aquarium plants or a dual-stage regulator to prevent TD. The cost of recalibrating probes can add up too. What a fun and expensive hobby we have.

Back
Top Bottom