Red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurplePolyp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Over the last week, I have had a outburst of red slime algae. All I have in my tank is a black brittle starfish, some nassarius snails, and a yellow-tail damsel. I also have a carnation coral, a maze brain, and a purple zoa. I have a 90 gallon tank and do a 20 gallon water change once a week. Water parameters are awesome except for a 10 on nitrates. I am working on clearing the issue but was curious what clean up crew animals are best for red slime? Thanks!

Not really any out there, use some airline tube to siphon out as much as you can every couple of days. Take a look at your feedings and reduce as necessary.

UltraLIfe red slime remover works great but it does not fix the problem that caused it in the first place. Only proper water quality can do that. I'm currently fighting a fairly contained outbreak of cyano, that was introduced to the system by a new rock. In my case my water is perfect, so UltraLife is a good choice along with a good skimmer and a syphon*

Your nutrients test low because the red slime is using it up. Try running gfo in a reactor to pull phosphates down

Back
Top Bottom