Red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have some red slime algae on a few rocks. Is it a bad idea to take them out and scrub the red slime off? i already took 2 small rocks and scrubbed off the slime in some RODI water with a tooth brush. is this ok ???

If you have LR, I would not recommend any type of FW. It will kill off the bacteria and fauna.

The one main cause of cyano is PO4. It is fueled by many things but that is the catylist and what keeps it going. Eliminate the PO4 and you will be rid of the cyano. Regular (or increased) water changes with RO, careful use of prefab foods and if levels are high' the use of an iron based PO4 granular sponge will help. Keeping water chemistry in line and good water flow will also help but PO4 is the main issue.

Cheers
Steve

You're probably OK but just to be sure keep an eye on amm and trite levels incase there was any die-off.

divemasterjim said:
Well I checked my PO4 it is only .025mg/L that is low isnt it?
True it is quite low but if you can measure the PO4 it also means higher levels of organic PO4 which cannot be tested for.

How old is the tank?

Cheers
Steve

I would call it growing pains then. Quite normal for a younger tank to develope algaes issue for the first while. As long as you keep up with regular water changes using RO it will eventually subside. Watch the feedings and water parameters as well.

Based on your bioload, I'd take it easy for awhile and let things calm down. Too much too fast can also upset things :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Only thing I have bought latley was the clean up crew (Dwarf Red tipped Hermit crabs ,Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs ,Mexican Turbo Snails )to fight the algae and 3 peppermint shrimp for the aiptasia. All the other stuff came with the rocks except the choclate chip and 7 fish

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom