Red Spot on Face - Adult Red Cap Oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunnyDani87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!

I have a 55 gallon tank with 4 amazing Orandas and a couple of snails. I use a Fluval 406 canister filter, and my water readings are all ideal. I do partial water changes once per week, and I'm careful not to overfeed my tank. I will occasionally clip some seaweed sheets to let them graze. Otherwise, everyone seems happy and healthy. (Before I get a bunch of posts about my tank being too small, three of the Orandas are still quite small (~1.5 inches) and I plan on upgrading my tank to 75 gallons in the next few months).

About 3 days ago, I noticed a dark red ring on the cheek of my red cap. He has been with me for about 6 months, and is acting normal, but this spot just appeared...I would really appreciate any insight into what it is. I've tried researching it, but everything related to red spots seems to be related to ammonia or nitrite levels...which are spot on in my tank. The images online also seem to be splotchy, where this is truly a "ring"...See below for a photo of my guy...

IMG_1165.JPG

No other fish are exhibiting any problems, either physical or behavioral.

Thanks in advance for any help, I want to keep him healthy and happy!!
Danielle

Yech! That's horrifying! I hope that's not it! (But I'll definitely take an even closer look tomorrow morning).

Right now, I don't see anything at the center of the spot, though the whole thing does appear to be a raised/rough surface.

Thanks for the information! If it is anchor worm, I'll jump on treatment asap. :)

Back
Top Bottom