Red Spot on Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamlo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.

Ive noticed today that my red cap oranda has developed a red spot on his side.

I'm wondering what it is? The tank is cycling but today's parameters were: 0 ammonia, 1.0 Nitrite and 5 Nitrates. Using Api master kit.

I've just done a big water change to reduce the nitrite which has been spiking for about a week and a half.

The tank is 26g with 2 fancy goldfish in it.

What can I do to remedy this or will the spot go?

Do you think it's an illness or is it the fish changing colour?

BTW I've looked after the tank by treating the water with ApI Stress coat and done regular water changes.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image-1917699933.jpg
    image-1917699933.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 69
  • image-841457289.jpg
    image-841457289.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 85
Stay on top of those wcs. The nitrite level really should be .25ppm, preferably much less because you are not using a water conditioner that helps to detox ammonia and nitrite. Looking at the pic, it looks like he just missing a scale or two. Is this the case or is it an actual lump/growth?

Stay on top of those wcs. The nitrite level really should be .25ppm, preferably much less because you are not using a water conditioner that helps to detox ammonia and nitrite. Looking at the pic, it looks like he just missing a scale or two. Is this the case or is it an actual lump/growth?

Looking at him he may just be missing a few scales but its hard to tell. I've read that elevated Nitrite levels can cause red spots. Ill keep an eye on him and see if the spot gets any worse.

Ill test the Nitrite again in a few hours after the water has settled down after the wc I did today and post the result.

Thanks for the help.

Just looked at him today and he looks better already. The red area doesn't look so red.

New pic after 24 hours

Attachments

• image-2977708794.jpg
    image-2977708794.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 71
Looks much better! Now it just looks like he list a few scales which will grow back with time. Make there is nothing sharp, jagged, pointed or tight in the tank to help keep him out of harms way. :)

Back
Top Bottom