Red tail shark habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

castlerock31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a semi aggressive 29 gallon tank with plenty of hiding spots. Against the advice of some I added two 3" red tail sharks as bottom feeders. After a bit of chasing they established there own territories and have been peaceful for about a week. Recently though, they have been rubbing against one another and sort of shivering against each other. This doesn't seem to be aggressive and originally I thought they were mating but I don't believe that's probable in a diverse tank (or any standard tank from what I've heard). Anyone encountered this before or have an idea of what they are doing?

I have a single red tale and it bullied a rainbow shark so bad I gave it away to someone. I would take one out and put it in another tank if you have one.

They grow to 4 or 5 inches, 29 gallons should be suitable for one. My plan was to only get one originally but the owner of my LFS said two would be okay with enough decorations in the tank. My question was about what they were doing also. I appreciate the advice on there housing and will move one if problems arise. Have you seen this behavior in sharks before?

I do have another tank, but aggression has not been an issue. They seem to almost have paired up.

I haven't but I only kept the red tale and the rainbow together for a few days. I don't know but I am willing to bet they are just testing each other.

My first tank was a 65 gallon and I got tricked into getting 3 sharks. Within a month two died. Also a rts can get to 6 inches and they can be extremely aggressive once it grows. For now the 29 gallon will work but you eventually will need to rehome or upgrade tank size

I have 2 redtails in my 55 gallon tank and there fine together

What other fish do you have in the tank with the redtails? I am in the process of deciding to get a Rainbow Shark or not. And what I have read redtails and rainbow act pretty similiar

What other fish do you have in the tank with the redtails? I am in the process of deciding to get a Rainbow Shark or not. And what I have read redtails and rainbow act pretty similiar

They will bully each other I had one of each at the same time, and I gave away the rainbow because of it.

They should act similar, the rainbows just get a little bigger. Its only been two weeks I have had the two red tails now, but both of them seem fine. They are in a cichlid tank though so they are far from the most aggressive fish in the tank

They should act similar, the rainbows just get a little bigger. Its only been two weeks I have had the two red tails now, but both of them seem fine. They are in a cichlid tank though so they are far from the most aggressive fish in the tank

You probably have a bi enough tank if you have cichlids.

I have
2 tiger barbs
1 male swordtail
1 female mollies
12 baby mollies
1 sailfin pleco
1 hiilstream loach
3 neon tetras
1 black skirt tetra
2 redtails
1 green servum cichlid
You should do some research on the fish u decided to get like my redtails sometimes pick on my tiger barbs if any more questions just feel free to ask

I currently have
6 tiger barbs
2 auratua cichlids
2 acei cichlids
1 jewel

You guys were right too. There was two much fighting so I moved one of the red tails. I will try again when I move to the 55 gal. The sharks had no issues with the rest of the fish though

Same here with an Oscar and red Texas lol they seem fine have had them about 3 months even got them at pet smart lol they are hardy and healthy

Back
Top Bottom