Red Tail Shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmanova

Aquarium Advice Activist
I saw this neat looking fish at Petco yesterday called a Red Tail Shark! The tank label said only one shark for a community tank. It also said it grows to abou 4-5 inches and is very peaceful. It cost $6.00! Any words of wisdom (good or bad) on this beautiful fish called the Red Tailed Shark? :thanks:

Yes, you should have a minimum of a 75 gallon tank for this species. They become very aggressive as they mature. They are not known as a peaceful species at all, that was really bad information. The rainbow sharks have basically the same needs.

They are wonderful if you can house them properly. (y)

75 gallon? LOL hell no, ill get one for my new 50 gallon and he will be fine!

im not judging

Your choice..... my response comes from experience and reading about the experience of many other fishkeepers....

The tank label said only one shark for a community tank. It also said it grows to abou 4-5 inches and is very peaceful. Any words of wisdom (good or bad)

Yeah RTS's are peaceful:brows: ... until they start to grow up! Then they can become territorially aggressive little monsters
How large is your tank? ... IMO a 75gal is the minimum tank size for RTS's. They do claim territories so setting up areas by Driftwood, Plants and Caves can help them establish territories to claim and curtail their aggressionin your tank.:facepalm: ... but there are no guarantees. My RTS pretty much claims the whole tank and even in a tank with TigerBarbs ... the RTS is the top fish.

Realistically you can only have one in a tank, even with larger ones like a 75gal. This also goes for fish that resemble RTS's .. so no Rainbow sharks for example. RTS's are gorgeous but just be aware that juveniles look nice and peaceful but quickly develop that territorial aggressive nature.

torres said:
75 gallon? LOL hell no, ill get one for my new 50 gallon and he will be fine!

im not judging

And alot of people don't know these are schoaling fish and do much better in groups so I would never even think about it in a 50 gallon IMO to see the true behavior and personality I would go species only in a 75 gallon

My tank is a 50 gallon. I have a book called "The Complete Fishkeeper" written by Joseph S.Levine. In it he states its peaceful toward other species (the most peaceful of its genus) and a desirable member of almost any community tank. That is why I liked it! He also said the Labeo is, however terrotorial and quarrelsome with its own kind; one to a tank. He said you need a large tank, but it grows slowly. I really like this fish but if my 50 gallon tank is too small I guess I'll have to pass it up. Darn!!!

My tank is a 50 gallon. I have a book called "The Complete Fishkeeper" written by Joseph S.Levine. In it he states its peaceful toward other species (the most peaceful of its genus) and a desirable member of almost any community tank. That is why I liked it! He also said the Labeo is, however terrotorial and quarrelsome with its own kind; one to a tank. He said you need a large tank, but it grows slowly. I really like this fish but if my 50 gallon tank is too small I guess I'll have to pass it up. Darn!!!

For a 50 look at a Rainbow Shark ... a similar species that does resemble an RTS's but not as territorially aggressive which a 50gal would be fine for. Still going to need to set up territories however ... DW, plants and caves are best.

i will keep it in the 50 gallon and see the Weird behaviour..

torres said:
i will keep it in the 50 gallon and see the Weird behaviour..

Oh don't get me wrong he will be fine in a 50 they are incredibly slow growers so it could be years before you have a problem I have one that's 3 years old and he is about 3.5-4" long and my other is 6 years old and he is almost 6" but he is a holy terror I tried to curb the aggression by dumping him in my cichlid tank now he is the boss of that tank hands down

I've had one for 7 months and he has grown from a tiny, peaceful 1.5 inches to 3.5-4 inch terror! I have nearly rehomed him on multiple occasions. A few months ago he killed two cories but I keep giving him 'one more chance'. He is in a 70g community tank and I couldn't picture him in a tank any smaller.

I have to agree. He was trolling with shark bait, just like my dad used to do behind his canoe. :rolleyes:

Im not trolling.
But 50 gallon looks big enough for him. Of course the bigger the better.
You cant have more than one or they might fight. Bala shark that really need a big tank, and they are a schooling fish, and 'never' stop to swim.
Im sure if i get a RTS he will stay fine in the 50 gallon with no problems at all.

by the way, i started to search alot about RTS and 50 gallon meet the requirement.

You can go by what a website suggests or you can go by people who've had the species and are sharing their personal experience. I know which advice I'd take.

I try to listen what both have to tell me then i make my own decision.

red fin sharks are a schooling fish??i only got informed on here yesterday NEVER to put them in with other red fin sharks??this has even confused me now:(i think there amazing and the little guy i have is great with my gupps,platys,mollys and bristlenose plec oh and my apple snail:)

Alone aggression is bound to happen its not if it's when in a 50 gallon you will regret having this fish like a common pleco I do t think they should be sold for home aquaria because not many people have the space to keep them in a proper school of 6-8 which would require many many gallons

Research is great but internet or google can be bad anyone can
Make a page right or wrong books are the way to go credited sources

they should not sell goldfish for who have small tank then.
but people have money and they buy and put whatever they want in their aquarium, thats what happen.
I do my searches, if i know ill do it right and people say it's wrong because of this, that bla bla bla, i just ignore.

Back
Top Bottom