Red-tailed shark accident :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meedo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was so excited today because I just got my first red-tailed shark, I have a 20g new planted tank with 2 couple of Mollies (1 sail-fin and one dalmatian), I was planning to get 2 other females because my females became distressed because of the males hyper sexual activity :rolleyes:, I spotted the red-tailed shark in the LFS and I got tiny one, I knew before hand that I can only keep one in my tank. He kept swimming happily for a while along with the old and new fishes, and then few minutes later I found him laying on the bottom :(
What the heck just happened :confused:

I acclimated him the same as I did with the two new Molly females, put the bag in the water for 5 minutes and then add some water from the tank into the bag every 5 minutes (did that 2 times) then let them into the tank, he was looking very healthy and he explored the tank and toke a snack.

I forgot to mention that I have a leopard cat fish (2 inches) and it is using some decoration I put as a hiding spot/den since I acquired it, I found the shark laying dead in front of the entrance of this den!!! I was not paying attention for some minutes so I cannot be sure if a territory fight went on or not.

Worth to mention:

NO3 mg/l ------> 0
NO2 mg/l ------> 1
GH ------------> between 6 and 10
KH ------------> 4
pH ------------> 7.2

Nutrition: TetraMin, Tetra PlecoMin and Tetra TabiMin

How long has this aquarium been set up? Based on the numbers you're reporting, your aquarium hasn't cycled yet and probably has high Ammonia levels.

Less than one month, it is quite new that's why I was acquiring only Mollies because I know they are hardy. What should I do about the Ammonia? How can I know that my tank has finished the cycle?

The cure for the ammonia is changing water. You want to keep the level under .5ppm. Your cycle will finish when ammonia and nitrites both rise and go back to zero. It can take up to 8 weeks. Until then do not add anymore fish. Just test and change water as needed to keep ammonia and nitrites under .5. There are sveral articles in the article section that explain the cycle for you.

You would need a test kit for Ammonia to be able to determine the Ammonia levels. Based on the test results that you are reporting, I'm guessing that you're using Test Strips. These have a tendancy to be inaccurate, so you'd be better off switching to a liquid test kits. The API Master Test Kit is fairly inexpensive and would have all the tests that you would need starting out.

1st thing I suggest is, no more fish till its cycled!

Read up on cycling and be prepared to spend more time initially then you will later after its cycled. Keeping track of ammonia is a good idea so is frequent water changes.

When cycled you should have consistent zero results for Ammonia(NH3/4) and NitrIte(NO2)

Agree on the advice here:

Step 1: 50% PWC - then at least 25% daily until you obtain liquid test kits.
Step 2: get test kits (ammonia, nitrITE, nitrATE, PH)
Step 2: read up on The Nitrogen Cycle and Tank Cycling. (articles section).
Step 4: keep PWCs going and keep Ammonia and NitrITE under 1ppm till cycle is done.

No more fish till then. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom