red terror w/green terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need some insight on this...can a red terror coexist with a green terror in the same aquarium?

Not in a tank under 6ft and even then it may or may not work, they are on a different scale when it comes to aggression when compared to aequidens rivulatus. When excichlasoma festae mature around the twelve month mark like most new worlds their aggression peaks and tankmates become difficult. Mine have killed dozens of fish, some within minutes of adding them.

HUKIT said:
Not in a tank under 6ft and even then it may or may not work, they are on a different scale when it comes to aggression when compared to aequidens rivulatus. When excichlasoma festae mature around the twelve month mark like most new worlds their aggression peaks and tankmates become difficult. Mine have killed dozens of fish, some within minutes of adding them.

Thx for the info HUKIT...Have a green terror barely 1" thinking of trading him for the festae which somewhat smaller..

Is this in your 55g? I hate to say no since they're one of my favorites and took me a long time to find mine, but they can be brutal towards other fish. What about rehoming the GT and getting 5 or 6 Festae to grow out, is there a chance for bigger tank in your future?

Ive never had cichlids other than malawi. But ive house sat for people that had them, And it seems to work fine, they were fighting a little bit but all cichlids do it from time to time. No serious damage. They bought them at the same time, very young, and they grew up and were used to eachother. They could also be lucky. Its worth a shot in my opinion. Just watch their behavior carefully.

In a rather large aquarium introduced at a young age it can be done.

How large of an aquarium are you referring to? People are obviously free to experiment, but I wouldn't count on this going well in most scenarios. Red Terrors get significantly larger and I've heard a lot about their fierce temperment.

Regarding the "grow up together" theory. I haven't read any specific studies on this. I tend not to put much stock in random stories of different tank set ups working, because there are too many different variables at play (Fish Temperments, Relative Sizes, Gender, Decor, Age...etc)

Omg, It was a red devil they had not a red terror my apologies. I had to ask them because it was bothering me. Been a while since ive been there. But as for introducing at a young age, with african cichlids if you introduce 3 or 4 at a time at a younger age, chances of their survival are a bit higher than it would if you got 1 or 2 that have lived in the tank for a while, then adding a single new one

The introducing fish at a young age theory doesn't really apply to most larger new world cichlids, as their aggression level increases with maturity. So the peaceful fish you swimming around at 1-9 months could turn into a serial killer after a year.

That's a very cool stand up thing about letting us know the ID error, most would have left that part out.

Last edited:
Is the op actually sure its a true red terror (festae) and not a mayan because I would have to say if its not a true terror it could work but my buddy has about 40-50 festae from Jeff raps and a few of his buddies and they are ferocious cichlids... I wouldn't reccomend any tank mates (even a mated pair may ended up being one fish in no time) they are well known for being on the extremely aggressive side so unless you plan on getting atleast a 75 gallon I wouldn't even mess with them although they are absolutely beautiful fish the Peruvian and ecuadorian

Back
Top Bottom