Red wag acting different?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
My red wag lately has went from being very active and always out in the open to constantly hiding in the back of the tank, she only seems to come out at feeding time, my very pregnant micky mouse is more active and out in the open than my red wag. Could she be sick or something?

Are these the two platys in the 10 gal? Is this new behavior for her? When did it start? Did anything happen just prior (tank re-arrange, etc)? Is she breathing hard? Any signs of illness on the body (torn fins, white spots, red spots, etc)? Is she bloated? Swimming ok?

Barring anything obvious I"d say the pregnant one may be aggressive toward the other. I've read that pregnant platys as they come closer to giving birth can be aggressive toward other fish. Just a guess though.

librarygirl said:
Are these the two platys in the 10 gal? Is this new behavior for her? When did it start? Did anything happen just prior (tank re-arrange, etc)? Is she breathing hard? Any signs of illness on the body (torn fins, white spots, red spots, etc)? Is she bloated? Swimming ok?

Barring anything obvious I"d say the pregnant one may be aggressive toward the other. I've read that pregnant platys as they come closer to giving birth can be aggressive toward other fish. Just a guess though.

Yes it's two in my 10g, they've been together ever since I started the fish in cycle and have always gotten along very well, always swam together peacefully, it's been going on for maybe a week or so. No spots on her at all, only re-arrange I did was take away a floating plant coil I had made for when the micky mouse had her fry and put them in the gravel, the spot she is now hiding in isnt planted anymore heavily than before. She swims fine, just hides a lot. I haven't noticed the pregnant platy chasing her around or anything. Where the 're-arrange' went on was in a totally different spot that she hasn't seemed to be bothered by, she doesn't pay it much attention at all.

Back
Top Bottom