Red Wagtail Mollies - Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIY_Dad

Aquarium Advice Regular
They are quite the playful pair, always chasing each other around the tank! Didn’t pay much attention to the 1 or 2 raised scales a few days ago, but now It appears to be dropsy?

Would love to hear thoughts? The few times that I’ve dealt with it in the past did not end well. They are both in quarantine tank getting a salt treatment...IMG_8844.jpg

29gal; Recently cycled, running 7-8 weeks

Chemistry:
pH - 7.4
NH3/NH4 - 0 ppm
NO2 - 0 ppm
NO3 - 5.0 ppm
Temp 72-74F

Being feed once a day - Tetra; Granules, Flakes, Wafers and Frozen Brine Shrimp (once a week)

25% water change 5-7 days

Filter;
Fluval 304

Lights;
Aquaneat 30” white and blue LED

Substrate;
10lbs black gravel
5lbs black sand

Plants:
(12) Amazon Swords/Peace Lily
(02) Bacopa madagascariensis
(01) Cabomba Furcata
(01) Echinodorus ‘Kleiner Bar’
(01) Aponogeton madagascariensis
(12) Phyllanthus fluitans (red root floater)
(01) Didiplis diandra

Residents:
(14) Red eye tetras
(02) Male & Female Veil tale Betta’s
(02) Red wagtail mollies
(03) Bristlenose plecos
(01) Silver hatchet
(03) Tiger nerite
(01) Horned nerite
(08) Ghost shrimp (3 - females carrying eggs)

Currently dosing with Seachem; Flourish & Excel at 1/2 recommended amounts.

We are pumping pure O2 into the tank using a Hydrogen Peroxide oxygenator (used aquarium media and sliced potatoes)[/QUOTE]

Dropsy is one of the last symptoms of various internal disorders. Once Dropsy occurs, the affected fish usually becomes lethargic, and refuses to eat. If your Mollies are still active and eating, Dropsy might not be the problem causing the raised scales. Good move to QT until things get back to normal.

Yes, you are quite right! Aside from the raised scales, it has not exhibited any other symptoms. The other mollie is not affected what so ever - but decided to isolate them together, as not to cause any undue stress.

The mollies and the male betta have been our longest resident in the 29gal. Prior to being transferred, the 3 of them lived in a 3gal tank for the past 1.5yrs. Since starting the new planted tank...all the plants and other residents came from your typical LFS. The 3 of them pretty much cycled the tank, prior to us adding the other residents.

If not dropsy, my second guess would be some type of Fungus. Will just continue observations until we find a definitive answer.

A better picture will help with issue ID possibly .
IMO the picture shows 2 male wag tail platy not molly but I don't think that matters much.
Try salt if you have them in QT.

IMO the picture shows 2 male wag tail platy not molly but I don't think that matters much.

Hi Coralbandit, thank you for chiming in....unfortunately, I just can't get a clear pic without having to flop it down on a surface/table - it is just too active. So far, it appears that 3 days in a salted tank and 1 day/dose of Fungus Clear seem to have minimized any further scaling. I would even say that the affected area has noticeably decreased in size!

The unaffected Platy has not shown any physical symptoms what so ever...

Well, it has been over 3 weeks with Salt bath Isolation, 2 treatments of fungus clear, 5 days of amoxicillin and the results have been dismal. You can still see the raised scales, although not as pronounced prior to Isolation.

They have been quite active in the 3 gal tank, and eating normally...I’m at a loss at what this could be? I hope this is a better picture and someone may be able to help us with a solution...thank you in advance!IMG_8977.jpgIMG_8976.jpg

Those are truly tough Platys to have survived all the noted treatments. I also believe you deserve an A+ for effort. It's apparent that the problem isn't bacterial or parasitic. It might simply be a minor genetic defect.
In the past I've purchased groups of fish together, only to discover that one or two had some sort of genetic flaw that I failed to notice at the fish store. Most of the time the blemishes didn't interfere with their expected normal behavior or longevity.

Those are truly tough Platys to have survived all the noted treatments. I also believe you deserve an A+ for effort. It's apparent that the problem isn't bacterial or parasitic. It might simply be a minor genetic defect.

In the past I've purchased groups of fish together, only to discover that one or two had some sort of genetic flaw that I failed to notice at the fish store. Most of the time the blemishes didn't interfere with their expected normal behavior or longevity.

Yes, I have to agree with you on the hardiness of these Platys. They’ve been through a lot!

To get them out of the hospital tank, my 13yr old decided to let them join the Red Eyes in his 20g for the time being and hope for the best!

That decision was to protect the 29g community, as well as his recently rescued Angel “Biggie Cheese”...a Silver Angel that was turned over to Petco for his aggressive behavior, he’s a total angel of a fish! (excuse my pun)

Attachments

• IMG_8899.jpg
    IMG_8899.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_8930.jpg
    IMG_8930.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8995.jpg
    IMG_8995.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 40
That is a good looking Angel. A lot of Angel fish fans on AA.

That is a good looking Angel. A lot of Angel fish fans on AA.

I think my Son made the right choice by bringing him home for a $10 donation...He's so big that the 29G is fully stocked at this point! Lol

Back
Top Bottom