Red Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leafy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’ve been treating my betta with API Triple Sulfa for the past two days, and the tank water in the quarantine bin has a frightening red tint to it. Nothing about my water parameters stand out (I do water changes every other day due to medication). My betta seems fine? No noticeable behavior changes. Before I was using API Fin and Body cure to treat his bacterial fin rot, but no result. This medicine also caused my water to tint, but not to such a noticeable degree. I know it’s not a problem with my water itself because my main tank has not displayed the same problem (no carbon in either). API Triple Sulfa claims that it will not discolor aquarium water, but it seems to be the only possible reason why. I haven’t come across any threads that mention the same thing I’m going through. Any ideas? Is it harmful?

Attachments

• 180D24AF-D4B5-43D1-A34B-5C9EC566C8F6.jpg
    180D24AF-D4B5-43D1-A34B-5C9EC566C8F6.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 27
I've never used triple sulfa, but I've used api furan-2, which I think is also a sulfa antibiotic, and it does discolor the water. Makes it kind of yellowish. Those drugs are also hard on the beneficial bacteria, which can cause your tank to become cloudy too. Or flat out crash your cycle. But they work good on illness

Back
Top Bottom