Redneck severum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ngalvin26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have just been to my LFS as I am just looking at what fish I can get when my cycle is complete,
He mentioned redneck severums and I do like them tbh but they do look quite big.
my tank is 40g and he says they will be ok in that size so I thought i would double check with you guys to see what you think

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A 40g could be done but an adult would be much better suited for a 4ft 55g minimum.

Caleb

Tut I really do like them aswell, so would you not recommend it?

As a juvenile you could if you kept up with water changes.

As it grows though I would look towards that 55 or a 75

Caleb

Redneck severum :D all I can think of is a severum that listens to country music and drives a tractor. That's my kind of severum. They are probably referring to a Rotkiel severum or an orange shoulder severum.

I would not recommend a 40 breeder length wise they would fit but they are a very all fish as well. Stick a white paper plate up to your tank and that is how an adult severum would look in there.

40 breeder is a great size tnak one of my favorites because of the length. If you want a cichlid but one with color and not overly aggressive look at at a group of rainbow cichlids.

Electric Blue Acara, firemouths, convicts, Rams would all work nicely obviously not all together.

Here is my rainbows with my Honduran red points.

Redneck severum :D all I can think of is a severum that listens to country music and drives a tractor. That's my kind of severum. They are probably referring to a Rotkiel severum or an orange shoulder severum.

? that actually made me laugh. I have never had cichlids can they be put in with fish like red tail shark and tiger barbs or do they need to be cichlid tanks only.

? that actually made me laugh. I have never had cichlids can they be put in with fish like red tail shark and tiger barbs or do they need to be cichlid tanks only.

Severum are on the low end of the aggression level for cichlids so makes them a great addition to community tanks. With any type of fish you can get one on the more aggressive side but that isn't typical. They would do just fine with barbs and red tails shark. Also would be fine with larger tetras like diamonds, lemons, columbains. Again if it is in the 40b you will have to upgrade in a year or so.

My experience with severums ... They get large fairly quick so a big tank is in order, they may not do well in groups once they start to mature but they do very well by themselves with other fish.
I had them with angels without any issues, very peaceful but very fast getting to the food and very fast to grow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom