Redoing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ComMizz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so i had a tank all set up but never cycled it and everything died besides a couple gold fish. I now found out that they shouldn't even be in such a small tank. I am going to bring them back to the store and then redo my tank all over with nothing in it and cycle it the right way. So is this a good idea and if it ils where do i start anybody got some tips or advice on how to go about starting this over. I would really appreciate it thank you very much

Besides just taking the goldfish back to the store, to cycle the tank you really just need an ammonia source. You can use pure ammonia (clear, no dyes or surfactants listed in the ingredients, and shouldn't foam when you shake it). You can find it with cleaning supplies in most grocery stores and some hardware stores. Or you could go with fish food as you ammonia source...put a little pinch in there every day and test the ammonia and nitrites until they are both 0 and you have some nitrates. Or you could use a shrimp from the seafood counter (raw shrimp). I'd put it in a piece of nylon stocking so it doesn't make a mess in the tank.

If you do a search for fishless cycling, you'll find alot of info on whatever method you choose. :) Feel free to ask questions too.

Unless the fish had disease, you don't have to remove the gravel or change water. You'll do a water change after the cycle ends.

Ok so i Just put my ammonia in there and keep testing it for however long it take until the ammonia and nitrites hit 0 and i should have a little bit of nitrate? Then the cycle is complete?

Search "fishless cycling" here on AA. There are some very detailed posts.

You've got the basic principles right, but it's a little more complicated in reality.

Back
Top Bottom