Redox etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snotman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im setting up a new 200g and Im in the process of gathering equipment from assorted sources. I was discussing Alkalinity with a guy at my LFS and he said that your Alk is a much more important perameter to ensure stability in than your PH.

To this end I am attempting to get an MV computer/probe and ozoner. My question is:

If I have my Orp probe in the sump and use the controller to feed ozone through the skimmer, would this then maintain the Mv rating of the main tank water or would the ozone be fired into the skimmate cup?

Any links that you guys have to articles about Redox and ph control would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

PH is very easily controlled. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the fancy equipment, if you don't need it. Good surface agitation and an open tank will help to keep a stable pH. Regular PWCs will replace all the trace elements needed in your tank, assuming you have a regular bioload.
Hopefully someone will be along to provide a link for that equipment and their personal experiences.

roka64 said:
PH is very easily controlled. I wouldn't spend the extra money on the fancy equipment, if you don't need it. Good surface agitation and an open tank will help to keep a stable pH. Regular PWCs will replace all the trace elements needed in your tank, assuming you have a regular bioload.
Hopefully someone will be along to provide a link for that equipment and their personal experiences.

Concentrate on maintaining your alkalinity which you can get a good test kit for. I monitor calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels because I have a good deal of corals, clams and macroalgae which are consumers of calcium.
To keep calcium levels at 450 I use Kent Calcium Booster( a powder) and to keep the alkanity level at 9-10 Dkh I use Kent reef booster.

Calcium chloride in the Calcium booster will not raise the ph but the sodium bicarbonate in the reef booster will.

Water changes as mentioned above will add the trace elements back and the buffering ablility of the water to keep the pH at 8.2

Acutually when my alkalinity level starts to fluctuate even though my routine has not then I know its time for a water change. :D

Tangster

roka64 said:

(y) (y)

I'm sort of confused by your question. I guess you want to maintain a stable ph and alk, but then you also asked about ozone. Not really sure how one affects the other (ph-alk vs ozone), but anyway.

I ran O3 for a while thru my CSS125 skimmer in my sump, but I had my orp probe in the tank itself. Again, I'm not sure what you are asking, but ozone will escape out the top of your skimmate cup, which is why it is recommended you put a little mesh bag or something over it filled with GAC to remove any redisual O3. It is also recommended you run the outflow of your skimmer thru GAC for the same reason...remove the residual O3 from the water. I really don't know how much difference there would be if the probe was in the sump, but I felt it was better to be monitoring the tank.

You see how confused Im getting!!!

I wrongly thought that an ozoner was used to increase the redox of the water and therefore increase the Alk. I thought that the ozoner was run through the skimmer as a way of introducing it into the aquarium water safely.

So am I correct in understanding that:
The redox/mv/ORP does not affect the Alk or PH at all?
Ozone is just to increase the efficiency of skimmers, thats how it improves water quality?
The only way to stabalise your Alk is Kalk/additives and water changes?
Should I use a UV sterilizer instead of an ozoner?

God this is confusing, gimme a nice big instructive article anyday!

Using O3 is just like using a protein skimmer, except it's supposedly a little more efficient. If my understanding is correct, it will not affect pH or alk at all.

Most alk readings are buffered fine with just regular water changes, sometimes they are not. Maintaining alk is definitley very important! Most can do it though with frequent water changes. All alkalinity is, in a nutshell, is your tanks resistance to pH change. A low or flucuating Alk means an unstable pH, which is harmful for the fish. Alk levels also help maintain corals and skeletal growth.

A UV sterilizer is something completely different, which kills bacterial microbes in the water (algae) usually. A lot of people run then as a sort of spit shine for their tanks. It will not affect pH and Alk either. :)

Here are a few articles...

Ozone, Pt. 1
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

ORP and Redox Reactions
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

pH and Alk
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2002/chem.htm

HTH :)

Back
Top Bottom