redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw the male go after a pod once but thats about it. lol

I think the issue with the fish eating isn't what it is but how it looks. If they are used to live food then they will be looking for that before some pellet or piece of mysis floats by.

I think if you offer enough varied frozen foods you will find something they will eat. You can get frozen plankton like you said, ovar , cyclopeeze and other small foods .

Great, thanks!

So here is an updated stocklist for this tank (including the fish I already have):
1. Scopas Tang
2. Blue Hippo Tang
3. McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
4. Linespot Flasher Wrasse
5. Lawnmower Blenny
6. Ocellaris Clownfish
7. Male Squareback Anthias
8. Female Squareback Anthias
9. Female Squareback Anthias
10. Female Squareback Anthias (if it is a good idea)
11. Mandarin
12. 3 Blue Reef Chromis (wouldn't 5 make the tank overstocked if I went with all of the Anthias?)
Thanks! I am completely open to edits to the stock. By the way, the first six are the ones are already have. :)

I'd pick either the 3rd female anthias OR the extra 2 chromis. :) Just to be sure.... My tank works with a similar stocking but each tank is different based on rock placement. :-D Just go slow...still the best advice for any question

Yep, I will definitely go slow and steady! :) I couldn't go quickly if I wanted to, saltwater fish are expensive, LOL.

I think I will go with the 3rd female Anthias, I just love them!

I hope to add rock gradually every now and then, and after hypo I will move over some rock back to this tank from the 55g.

You haven't found that your Anthias have lost any color under bright lighting, right (I remeber you talking about this in your thread)? Shouldn't I just make sure I have caves for them to get shade?
Thank you!

Mine like to hang out under my frag racks. :) But otherwise they are very active. the male is constantly swimming circles round the female and showing off. He seems to be more orange than pink now but the square on him is still as vibrant as it was.

Mine like to hang out under my frag racks. :) But otherwise they are very active. the male is constantly swimming circles round the female and showing off. He seems to be more orange than pink now but the square on him is still as vibrant as it was.

Cool, so you don't think I should have a problem with my 8 bulb fixture?
White Anthias would not be good, LOL.

Actually I think an Albino Anthias would look extremely cool....

Thanks for the help today!

I think your lighting will be fine, it took mine a few days to adjust to it though so he hid most of the time. The female didnt care much though she was out and about the very next day. Just make sure you have some larger overhangs or caves for your fish. The tangs will also go in and out so make sure you have some rockscape for them, even when they are bigger too, don't forget that! My pootie is having trouble squeezing in and out of some of the smaller spots now, i didn't think ahead so much on that front.
It's amazing how active the anthias are, I really underestimated that. Super glad I have the 6 foot tank for them.

Hello! :-D

I plan on starting hyposalinity tomorrow. :) To make sure the ich was out of my garbage bins I washed them outside yesterday, and they are stilll there. The ich should be dead, right? It shouldn't be able to survive dry, or in very low salt conditions.

Carey, I wanted to let you know that my Lawnmower is starting to get a rounded stomach look! :) I am glad that I know he is eating! He is a little secretive though, he has a rock in which he hides under, and pokes his head out, lol. Is yours secretive, or is it pretty active? He is a fantastic fish, one of my favorites!

I had some other questions for you guys too, but I forgot them, lol.

Thanks for reading!

My new lawnmower is actually alot like my old one. lol he is finally eating everything I put in the tank, he seems to really like bloodworms too. :) he is always creeping around in the rockwork watching me, even if i don't see him thats what they do! hehe..

My new lawnmower is actually alot like my old one. lol he is finally eating everything I put in the tank, he seems to really like bloodworms too. :) he is always creeping around in the rockwork watching me, even if i don't see him thats what they do! hehe..

LOL. I just stare at mine and he stares back. It seems like we are having a blinking contest, but he always wins, :lol:.

I just can't wait to get this ich away and begin stocking with lots of corals and some more fish. :) I really want a Torch, a nice big one like the one in your 125g. Any recommendations on fast growers to help make the tank look more like a reef?

Thanks!

My biggest and most "aged" looking corals are my gsp, my palythoas and my hammer coral. Oh almost forgot, my montipora has grown at least 500% in less than a year. I think the paly's give it the more established look as they spread from about 3-4 horrible polyps to at least 50 polyps now and have taken over an entire rock, the same for the gsp. I;ve been rotating the rocks they are on slowly so i get complete coverage. I really should be fragging them, they grow so darn fast. lol

btw, I have spent numerous nights trying to win the staring contest with my lawnmowers, and not once have I won. It's like they have nothing to do but stare at ya. rofl

My biggest and most "aged" looking corals are my gsp, my palythoas and my hammer coral. Oh almost forgot, my montipora has grown at least 500% in less than a year. I think the paly's give it the more established look as they spread from about 3-4 horrible polyps to at least 50 polyps now and have taken over an entire rock, the same for the gsp. I;ve been rotating the rocks they are on slowly so i get complete coverage. I really should be fragging them, they grow so darn fast. lol

btw, I have spent numerous nights trying to win the staring contest with my lawnmowers, and not once have I won. It's like they have nothing to do but stare at ya. rofl

Nice suggestions with the corals. I will definitely look into them. :)

Thanks!

OMG, Clearly there are some weird people in the world......with soo many of us having staring contests with our fish... LOL I do with my purple fire fish.

So let's see that's:

Fish - 3 :fish1::fish1::fish1:

Humans - 0 :eek:

Anyone want to know who's gonna win? LMAO

Sorry, had to point this out. Maybe start a thread and have everyone post their win/loss and keep track hehehehe.

OMG, Clearly there are some weird people in the world......with soo many of us having staring contests with our fish... LOL I do with my purple fire fish.

So let's see that's:

Fish - 3 :fish1::fish1::fish1:

Humans - 0 :eek:

Anyone want to know who's gonna win? LMAO

Sorry, had to point this out. Maybe start a thread and have everyone post their win/loss and keep track hehehehe.

LOL, it isn't fair, I have to blink but my fish don't have to!

Update: I hope to start hypo tomorrow, we will see. :)

Do you guys have any tips on cleaning the overflow? I can see some gunk on the bottom of where the water comes in.

Thanks!

I just deal with the little bit of algae on there and syphon the waste out with some airline tubing when I need to clean it up.

Back
Top Bottom