redsea's 125g Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL!

I was os excited, I jumped up and down. ITS NOT DEAD! LOL.

LOL that made my day "reading" you write that. That sounds weird but I can't type "made my day hearing you say that" because I can't hear you LMAO.

I am off to a LFS! I will most likely get some snails and maybe hermits. Maybe a fish too. ;)

I'm back on the road now, but I got an Orange Spotted Goby and a Royal Gramma. :) I love them! Hey, maybe if the Yasha Goby doesn't pair up with the shrimp, the new one will. Is that even possible?

Here the bad news, I saw my Yasha Goby, and he wasn't looking too good. Therefore I tested for ammonia, there was .5 of it! :banghead: I did a PWC, and emptied the protein skimmer cup. We are on the way to a party now, so I couldn't do anymore before we left. When we get back I will do more PWC(s), clean the filter sock, and clean the sponges in the overflow. Wish me luck that I don't have any losses!

However, the test kit I was using said on the bottle copyright 2006. Do you think it could have expired? Also, am I supposed to be shaking the bottles before using them?

Thanks!

Yes definitly dhake the bottles for 100% accurate results! Could be expired too. Good luck though!! Great additions!!!:)

Gboy66 said:
Yes definitly dhake the bottles for 100% accurate results! Could be expired too. Good luck though!! Great additions!!!:)

Thanks. Not sure if I did that on my tests before the most recent. Does that permanently mess up the bottle? I read somewhere that it might on some test, but I don't remember that post all to well, lol.

Thanks! Hopefully I will have pictures of the new fishes later and a picture of the Acan.

Oh, that's another thing. I found it odd that my Acan seemed to be doing okay with .5 of ammonia. It seemed okay to me. What would it look like if it was being effected by ammonia?

redsea said:
Thanks. Not sure if I did that on my tests before the most recent. Does that permanently mess up the bottle? I read somewhere that it might on some test, but I don't remember that post all to well, lol.

Thanks! Hopefully I will have pictures of the new fishes later and a picture of the Acan.

Oh, that's another thing. I found it odd that my Acan seemed to be doing okay with .5 of ammonia. It seemed okay to me. What would it look like if it was being effected by ammonia?

Corals are a great indicator of water quality... IMO the tests were bad. Redo them, but shake the heck out of the bottles! If the tests are still odd, do a pwc and buy another kit

Hey Red,
I think you could add it to a high flow area, but why would you want to? For the Ammonia?
Honestly, it's been so long since I've used conditioner, I don't remember. I thought it was just for Chlorine and Cloramines.

Yep, I wanted to put some in since I haven't been frequently on my PWCs, and I thought it might help with ammonia. :)

Update for Today:
As of last night:
The other Yasha Goby didn't make it. :( There is also something that looks alot like my Snapping Shrimp, but I suppose that could be a molt :confused:. My Royal Gramma and Orange Spotted Goby are both accounted for.

I bought a new test kit last night, and it still looked like there was ammonia. The Acan seems just find however. :confused:

Thanks all.

Forgot to mention that I cleaned out the "sponges " in the overflow and I replaced the filter sock. Do you think either of those could be causing any ammona issues? The were pretty dirty.

Thank you.

I don't see where that would cause any ammonia, nitrates maybe, but not ammonia.
Any detritus trapped should have been converted to nitrate, no matter where it was.
Only way I can think that it would cause any ammonia, is if there isn't enough BB in the system to convert. Not sure though.
The Acan would be all shriveled up if it were feeling any ill effects. If its still inflating during the day, it should be fine.
Good luck bringing the ammonia down!

Flreefer said:
I don't see where that would cause any ammonia, nitrates maybe, but not ammonia.
Any detritus trapped should have been converted to nitrate, no matter where it was.
Only way I can think that it would cause any ammonia, is if there isn't enough BB in the system to convert. Not sure though.
The Acan would be all shriveled up if it were feeling any ill effects. If its still inflating during the day, it should be fine.
Good luck bringing the ammonia down!

Thanks!

Do they normally tolerate ammonia well? When I checked last night it looked fine to me. I saw it quickly this morning and it had its little "tentacles" out.

I think overall, Acans are a pretty hardy coral.
I also think that it is one of the reasons that they are on the expensive side. Distributors and LFS know that you probably won't be buying them over and over again, because of untimely deaths! Therefore they get their cash, the first time around. I'm sure there are other factors, dictating price, but I think this is part of it.
Look at Flowerpots or Mandarins, relatively cheap, to entice the consumer, but horrible track records, therefore, your back 2 months later for something else to take its place.
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I believe it's part of the game.
If your Acan was feeding, and it still gets inflated, I would think its doing fine.

Flreefer said:
I think overall, Acans are a pretty hardy coral.
I also think that it is one of the reasons that they are on the expensive side. Distributors and LFS know that you probably won't be buying them over and over again, because of untimely deaths! Therefore they get their cash, the first time around. I'm sure there are other factors, dictating price, but I think this is part of it.
Look at Flowerpots or Mandarins, relatively cheap, to entice the consumer, but horrible track records, therefore, your back 2 months later for something else to take its place.
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I believe it's part of the game.
If your Acan was feeding, and it still gets inflated, I would think its doing fine.

I would have to agree. Look at the Achilles tangs. They used to be a lot cheaper and people replaced them when the original died. Now that they are expensive- we don't toy with the idea that much anymore.

Here are some terrible pics of the new additions! :)

Attachments

• image-1262002235.jpg
    image-1262002235.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2385686781.jpg
    image-2385686781.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 107
Update!

Today was a very busy fishy day! I made water, cleaned off some rock, put osme of it in the tank, and did a PWC. In the first pic above you can actually see the new Goby on a new piece of rock.

Back
Top Bottom