redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, long time no update! I have been talking to Rivercats frequently, and my tank is going to be setup soon! :)

Here is the plan:
-I have a Finnex Fugeray light
-I am going to be dosing Seachem Flourish Comprehensive (weekly sounds right, right? I can't remember :lol:)
-I will be stocking plants like Green Crypts, Green Horemanii Sword, Bacopa, and Teleanthera

-For filter media, I am thinking filter floss (can I get that a Petco/Petsmart?), but I am not entirely sure yet what else I want in there, LOL.

That is all for right now, thanks for following! :dance:

Don't forget about API Leaf Zone also so you get potassium and iron along with the nutrients in the Flourish Comprehensive. Now that I found this I'm following!

Filter floss and Purgen are my two best filter medias. Filter floss is cheap and can be stuffed in almost anywhere and really filters out alot of detris and purgen is great at polishing the water. Plus purgen lasts up to 6 months and can be regenerated.

Thanks for your help, and I am so glad that you are following, I appreciate it a lot!

Thanks for reminding me of the Leaf Zone! Next time I go out to purchase stuff for this tank, I will pick up some Seachem Comp, API Leaf Zone, Filter Floss, and Purigen. :) Maybe I will even get some plants too (the ones they stock on the shelves in the bags).

Thanks again!

Word of caution about those tube plants... many are bog plants and are not fully aquatic and they are always mixed in with the aquatics and often times are not marked as bog plants. I've seen Rotala, Ludwigia, Bacopa, Water sprite, Wisteria, Anubia, Java Fern regular and Wendilov, Swords, Crypts, Micro Swords, and Dwarf Hairgrass in those tubes and these are all fully aquatic plants (so write the names down so you have them with you when you shop for plants). Also I've found many of these tube plants are also sold in their emmersed growth form, meaning they have been grown with their leaves above water. So know that when you plant them the leaves that grow in will change into their submerged or immersed form and can often look quite different than the leaves that grew above water.

Thanks for your help, and I am so glad that you are following, I appreciate it a lot!

Thanks for reminding me of the Leaf Zone! Next time I go out to purchase stuff for this tank, I will pick up some Seachem Comp, API Leaf Zone, Filter Floss, and Purigen. :) Maybe I will even get some plants too (the ones they stock on the shelves in the bags).

Thanks again!
For your filter floss, try some cheap bed pillows. Same as the filter floss from lfs but a lot cheaper. I use it, a pillow will last a LONG time

I actually get 100% poly fiber fill at a craft store or Walmart. You can get a big bag that will last a long time.

I was thinking I should post some of the fish I am interested in for this tank, so here goes! :)

I really Like Rummynose Tetras and Otocinclus Catfish. I also think a Platy or two would like pretty nice. I am completely open to suggestions though, nothing is even close yet to being set in stone as far as stocking goes. :)

Rummy's are good, platies have a high bio-load so would put a greater limit on other fish you could stock. Oto's are great but they like GBR's do better when put in a mature tank of at least 6 months old. Most oto's are wild caught and don't acclimate well. You'll find it's a hit and miss with them so if you get some down the road don't get too alarmed if any don't live more than a couple weeks or so. Other good fish for a planted 20g would be Neon or Cardinal tetras, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, Kuhli Loaches, Cory Cats, possibly Lemon tetras, Guppies (not my favorite and would only do males), Endlers (which I love, we have 5 cobra endler males and plan to get more), Harliquen Rasboras, and many other small fish.

That's if your lucky enough to have big craft stores or Walmart. I don't, so i have to improvise!!!!

You really are limited aren't you! But honestly I think the cheap pillow idea is quite brilliant!

Don't forget about API Leaf Zone also so you get potassium and iron along with the nutrients in the Flourish Comprehensive. Now that I found this I'm following!

Filter floss and Purgen are my two best filter medias. Filter floss is cheap and can be stuffed in almost anywhere and really filters out alot of detris and purgen is great at polishing the water. Plus purgen lasts up to 6 months and can be regenerated.

Rummy's are good, platies have a high bio-load so would put a greater limit on other fish you could stock. Oto's are great but they like GBR's do better when put in a mature tank of at least 6 months old. Most oto's are wild caught and don't acclimate well. You'll find it's a hit and miss with them so if you get some down the road don't get too alarmed if any don't live more than a couple weeks or so. Other good fish for a planted 20g would be Neon or Cardinal tetras, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish, Kuhli Loaches, Cory Cats, possibly Lemon tetras, Guppies (not my favorite and would only do males), Endlers (which I love, we have 5 cobra endler males and plan to get more), Harliquen Rasboras, and many other small fish.
Thanks for the plethora of info! I really like those fish suggestions, I have got a lot to think about! :)

I think I will skip on the Platies, thanks for letting me know about their bio-load.

When you guys say filter floss, could filter pads also work? Thank you so much!

You're just talking about the foamy stuff, right? Lol.

Thanks again.

When you guys say filter floss, could filter pads also work? Thank you so much!

You're just talking about the foamy stuff, right? Lol.

Thanks again.
Pads will work, but costs add up when you need to change them. The floss looks like 'candy floss'...

Thanks both of you! In other news, look at this picture of a GBR I took at a LFS. They had some beautiful ones!

It would be nice if I uploaded the photo....

Attachments

• image-2380256012.jpg
    image-2380256012.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 119
So, while I was out today, I picked up Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. :) All that much closer to setting up the tank! :)

That appears to be a little female. Notice how her belly is slightly pink. I've been seeing alot of female GBR's for sale. You used to only be able to find boys, never any females.

Back
Top Bottom