redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you think I should give the "broken" Wisteria time to see if it will heal? I have two hole plants that are "broken".

I don't want my tank to be overrun with ammonia if the plants are dying.

Thanks!

This is really not a major issue, you aren't going to get a huge ammonia spike from a couple of dead leaves. You probably wouldn't even notice it at all. It's not the same as it is with a dead fish.

Wisteria is a true weed, even a single mostly intact leaf can sprout roots at it's base and begin to grow. If it's broken along the stem it'd be best to cut it cleanly and replant the portion that came off.

This is okay to test my ammonia, correct?

Not really IMO as they are not very accurate at all. I even tried on once and what it said and the actual liquid test said was way off!

Wait a couple weeks to start dosing ferts.

Good choice on the cories, just be sure to monitor your ammonia/nitrite and do a WC if it gets above .25

Not really IMO as they are not very accurate at all. I even tried on once and what it said and the actual liquid test said was way off!

Wait a couple weeks to start dosing ferts.

Good choice on the cories, just be sure to monitor your ammonia/nitrite and do a WC if it gets above .25

I agree, those ammonia monitors are extremely hit and miss.

I put in two small algae wafers...is that alright? they don't seem too interested though. One actually landed atop a plant, I hope they find it okay. :)

Well your both very mature for your age!

As for the algae wafers... for 3 little cory cats you only need to add maybe a 1/4 to a 1/2 max daily. They do require more than veggie matter so adding a piece of algae tablet one day, a shrimp pellet one day, and so on would give them the best all around diet. They won't eat alot so be careful not to overfeed as it is really easy to do that.

Thanks Rivercats! These wafers are pretty small, here is one of the two I added today. :)

Attachments

• image-3638427896.jpg
    image-3638427896.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 87
Thanks Rivercats! These wafers are pretty small, here is one of the two I added today. :)

They will most likely find them eventually and eat them. However if they aren't completely eaten in 24 hours I would remove what's left.

Ps I'm also 14.

redsea said:
My only concern is buying more plants. As a 14 year old, I am going to be running a little bit low on money, :lol:. I could probably get a few more though. :)

bud29 said:
Well I'm 14 too, welcome to the club :cool:

calfishguy said:
Ps I'm also 14.

Intelligent... well mannered... responsible... teenagers!!!!

You guys are awesome. \(^_^)/

Thanks CorallineAlgae, I appreciate that!

Quick question this Tuesday evening......

At the bottom of some of my Bacopa plants I am noticing that some of the leaves are starting to die. Is this normal, or am I going to find that my whole plant(s) is going to be dead soon?

Thanks!

Thanks CorallineAlgae, I appreciate that!

Quick question this Tuesday evening......

At the bottom of some of my Bacopa plants I am noticing that some of the leaves are starting to die. Is this normal, or am I going to find that my whole plant(s) is going to be dead soon?

Thanks!

The whole plant shouldn't die - I've seen bacopa "melt" a bit at the bottom, but the plant will keep the leaves that are higher up, thus keeping the ones that are getting the most light. I wouldn't be worried.

Intelligent... well mannered... responsible... teenagers!!!!

You guys are awesome. \(^_^)/

Thanks! :D

The whole plant shouldn't die - I've seen bacopa "melt" a bit at the bottom, but the plant will keep the leaves that are higher up, thus keeping the ones that are getting the most light. I wouldn't be worried.

Thanks! :D

Great! I am happy my plant is going to die on me! :thanks:

Are you going to get any DW or rocks? Having more plants makes the tank look alot better. Watch planting your bacopa stems so close together as light and water circulation can't get to lower leaves and can cause leaf loss and possible stem rotting.

Thanks Rivercats! I do plan on getting some rocks, but I don't want them to mess up my pH or anything. So I need to find some aquarium safe ones somewhere. :) Thanks for the info on the Bacopa. I did separate them from the clump the came in the bag, so hopefully that will help with leaf rot. Speaking of which. I am seeing a bit of dying leaves on the Bacopa. It isn't a ton, however.

Thanks again.

You still might need to space individual stems out alittle. The leaves on stems should almost be touching the leaves on the stems planted around them. They need that little bit of space.

After inital planting it's not uncommon for some leaf loss. If it becomes alot then you need to be concerned.

Back
Top Bottom