RedTail Shark Tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just saw your set up on your other thread. Nice DW! Plants will really bring it out more. BTW ... Denison barbs can be pricey if you go to a mom/pop or online. I've seen them at Petsmart for $9 at most. However the one by me has had them for $3-$4 each during sales.

I just saw your set up on your other thread. Nice DW! Plants will really bring it out more. BTW ... Denison barbs can be pricey if you go to a mom/pop or online. I've seen them at Petsmart for $9 at most. However the one by me has had them for $3-$4 each during sales.

hmmm okay thats absolutely fine in price...I looked online Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Denison Barb and it said 39.99 per fish..I can afford what your quoting... pricey fish I can't afford thats why I can't have a sw tank.....

I work at Petsmart and they are pretty cheap...and because of our regulations they are usually fairly healthy compared to most "petstores"

hmmm okay thats absolutely fine in price...I looked online Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Denison Barb and it said 39.99 per fish..I can afford what your quoting... pricey fish I can't afford thats why I can't have a sw tank.....

Oh yeah ... Some online Denison prices nearly knocked me out of my chair when I compared prices. Definitely check Petsmart first ... If you have one ... Some Petco's also carry them on occasion ... At around $10-12.

BTW the insane $3-$4 price was not a one time fluke, my petsmart's done it twice. $9 seems to be their regular price ... Albeit they'll be about 1.5 inches.

I work at Petsmart and they are pretty cheap...and because of our regulations they are usually fairly healthy compared to most "petstores"

I do have to admit that the Denisons at my Petsmart do look in good shape. A bit pale in color, due to stress no doubt, but otherwise healthy. They'll color up nicely once acclimated and they feel secure. They are by far my favorite fish outside of my tank. In my tank my two green TB's are still my favorite.

Go to page 2 on the link below post #15.. I've made a few minor DW changes, but it's basically what you see.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/marineland-double-bright-led-lights-228687-2.html

Okay I figured you were heavily planted...it will be awhile before i can plant I just started planting in my 20H but will be slowly adding plants from there ONCE I can get proper lighting for my 55g...the lights I have now wasn't enough to even keep java moss.....it turned brown brown brown (original bulbs)...I even floated some honeywort (msp) it started turning brown too...bought new bulbs too...simply not enough...you think someone on here has an extra they are willing to sell at a reasonable price?

Oh yeah ... Some online Denison prices nearly knocked me out of my chair when I compared prices. Definitely check Petsmart first ... If you have one ... Some Petco's also carry them on occasion ... At around $10-12.

BTW the insane $3-$4 price was not a one time fluke, my petsmart's done it twice. $9 seems to be their regular price ... Albeit they'll be about 1.5 inches.

okay I will check...I plan to go to petsmart tomorrow, well today.

Yeah ... Try the classified forum and see if anyone has a light setup to sell.
Plants do help but ultimately an RTS can be unpredictable on how territorially aggressive it becomes. Mine doesn't bother any other fish except for all my TB's and BRB's. it just takes turn chasing one after the other .... Go figure!

Plants do help but ultimately an RTS can be unpredictable on how territorially aggressive it becomes. Mine doesn't bother any other fish except for all my TB's and BRB's. it just takes turn chasing one after the other .... Go figure!

lol...thats what he/she did with my barbs also...but I only housed them in the 55 to cycle it then were moving them to 40B but I didnt move shark because of behavior and I thought it would be better off far as swim room verse a 3ft 40B...I don't know what to do about hiding places for the DB's if I do get themas you see the tank is wide open

What type of lighting am I actually needing that is best w/o co2?

Good luck with your red tailed shark. I'm having the same problem with my albino rainbow shark. It is beautiful but it kills or has dismembered all of his old tank mates fins and so on. I wanted to take it back and give it to the pet store, but my daughter got upset because she loves it. So it is in a tank by itself, which is sad. But I tried everything at no avail.

What type of lighting am I actually needing that is best w/o co2?

Depends what type of plants you want ... Your looking for natural daylight which is in the 6500k range. T5's CFL's and LED' are the way most aquarists go.
Let us know what plants your looking for and your bound to get more advice.

In my tank I have java fern and moss, various crypts, Anubias and Amazon sword. I'm running marinelands' 36 inch single bright LED and two 17 inch hidden LED's. That should barely qualify me as very low light at best, yet I'm getting new growth.

I've seen Dennison Barb as high as 99.95 at high end shops. They were full grown. I have two that size. Would like to get a 99.95 per. I also have a baby that was 6 at petsmart. I have a red tail shark too. The only fish he seems to hate in the 125 gallon tank are the flying foxes. Rainbow, Clown Loach, Angelfish, Betta will work regardless of size.

NO FLYING FOXES!!!

Depends what type of plants you want ... Your looking for natural daylight which is in the 6500k range. T5's CFL's and LED' are the way most aquarists go.

In my tank I have java fern and moss, various crypts, Anubias and Amazon sword. I'm running marinelands' 36 inch single bright LED and two 17 inch hidden LED's. That should barely qualify me as very low light at best, yet I'm getting new growth.

I want low to moderate lighting plants.....

Okay it was suggested to me to get a shop light but I need to know what type (T5, T8, T12 and the k's and whatever else) of bulbs for 55g and if I need the 2 or 4 bulb shop light

A single T5HO bulb in the 6500k range that's long enough to span the length of your tank should be more than enough. Make sure it's the HO...high output bulbs.

I have two red-tail sharks I purchased about two weeks ago and I also have a green tiger barb and they seem to get along well. I guess it depends on the fish itself as well but i haven't had many problems.

Back
Top Bottom