Redundant Filtration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaJa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have opinions on using a second filter for their aquarium? I have live plants, keep the water at 78 degrees and have a Penguin 350 HOB for a 55 gallon tank. I was wondering if there would be an issue with adding another HOB to help with filtration, minimize any dead spots and, by alternating timing of filter replacements, reduce problems from cycling new filters. I'm also hoping this will allow me to remove the air stone.

So, is it possible to have too much water movement for the fish? Is it even worth the time and money or would there still be a dead spot with one filter on the back right and one on the back left?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2219.jpg
    IMG_2219.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 105
I'm a fan of this type of redundancy for the reasons you have mentioned. Yes, it is possible to have too much flow but there are several factors to consider. Size of tank, obstructions/hardscape, actual filter GPH, mode of distribution (nozzle, weir), type of fish. I would observe how the flow is on the side of the tank where the 350 is and go from there. And you don't necessarily have to get the same type for the second filter. I prefer the AquaClear series regarding HOB filters because of the customizable media; not bound to proprietary or DIY cartridges.
The spray residue from popping bubbles can make a mess and cause build up on glass canopies, tank rims, and light fixtures (why I don't like using air stones). Decent flow and surface movement should provide adequate aeration for the tank (subject to bio-load, of course).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Agree, agree - except for removing the air stone but that's purely as I like air stones.

I use a second canister filter and just rotate cleaning. If one stops working (touch wood), the other one will pick up the slack.

I actually run a third internal filter for mechanical filtration and as a power head. I try to clean that one every second week very throughly.

Back
Top Bottom