Reed fish and the juwel tank.. FAIL!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 48 gallon juwel tank which I have had for 3 years now. This morning it came to my attention that my eel was not in sight, so I tore apart my tank, taking everything out... Then I tore apart the living room in search of him. The dining room door was open all night so I pulled every thing out from there. I continued to search for him hoping that I didn't find him dried up dead, as they can breathe air for a few hours but they must stay moist. I decided to chuck up the gravel in my tank again and reach inside the filter once more, nothing was their until I found two holes at the bottom of it. They weren't big enough to fit my hand in but I could fit my pinky in and feel around for him, a few moments later he was nuzzling my finger. So for the next hour it was a matter of lure out and catch, without him sliding out of my hands and back into one of the holes. It was like holding a wet snake, he's out now swimming around the tank, happy and healthy. I found that the filter never touched the bottom of the tank it was about an inch above so he was able to get out with some bloodworms. My eel had managed to get in through the hole at the top, swim down and get to the bottom, I just wanted to let people know about them getting into tiny places and also that the juwel filter has an open compartment at the bottom. This picture shows my filter, although the diagram does not include the extra bottom bit.. Thanks for reading :D

filter-exploded.jpg

Back
Top Bottom