Reef breeders Photon LED light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReeferChick420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good evening everyone I am about to purchase a reefbreeders Photon LED light 48" for my 55 gallon reef tank I have done some research about lighting and finally came up with this one. I have to wait till next week to get it but I just wanted to know if anyone has any comments or advice about it or long term problems because it is a serious price so I want to make sure I got something worth it... my tank is 50" long and 20 deep and the light is 42" long and the 90 degree optics goes down 24" will that be a problem... can I get the smaller light or is this the right light for my tank.

:thanks:

what would you recommend Doug? I really wasn't trying to spend that much but no matter how much research I do about lighting its never enough I was lucky finding this one...

Do you care about the remote and programming? I have basic LEDs that are powerful enough to keep whatever I want, but have no extra options. Basically, it's like any other type of lighting in that I need to use a pair of ordinary timers from HD or walmart. The upside is, you can light your tank for under 200 shipped, and be able to keep anything anyone else can keep.
You need 2 of these-
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Grow Light US | eBay

I was kinda looking forward to the controlling options but i am def looking into that LED light that you recommended... Does anyone on here really not have any comments on the reefbreaders photon LED light?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It would appear there are quite a few options available that are very similar to the RB fixture. Just type "controllable led aquarium light" on ebay.

I have been using the reefbreeders Photon LED light 48" over my new 120 gallon (24x24x48) mixed reef tank for about 9 months now and love it. When I was planning my upgrade from a 65 gallon to the 120 gallon, I looked at the radions, hydras, vegas, etc and they were going to cost me $1500. I saw the reefbreeders at a club meeting one night and for $500 I was sold. No, it does not have the fancy computer and wifi interface or per channel controls. You don't need it. They are programmable and they do growth coral. My montipora was almost dead 9 months ago, it only had 3 dime size spots left, Now its about 6 inch by 10 inches and is growing spirals. I run them 12 hours a day ramping up to about 50% for 2 hours and back down. It think would work great on your 55gal, and give you growing options for a 75, 90, 120 or 150 high in the future, all 4 foot long tanks. The guy who runs reefbreeders was great to work with. Last my friend had the maxspect 160w 27 inch on has 4 foot long 75 gallon and just replaced them with the same light photon 48. His tank was not doing well even at 100% on the ravors. Its looking much better now.

Back
Top Bottom