Reef Devil Skimmer and Sump Compact. What Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55 gal. and purchased a reef devil skimmer and sump compact to eliminate my overhang redsea skimmer. I do not know what size pump I should use to return it to my tank. I have a Powerhead now in my existing sump. Here are some pics.http://www.flickr.com/photos/59422509@N00/ I am also in the process of using my mag 1200 for a closed loop. Any suggestions? Would a Powerhead still be ok? Ideas? Thanks

I see you have a overflow box right? You can use the same pump your using now as the return pump.
The reef devil skimmer will not change the flow rate in your tank. Is that a CA pump that comes with the RD? I have 2 RD skimmers and the CA pumps are crap, they work well for a while and then they have issues starting if the power goes out. I upgraded my pump to a Mag7 and it is skimmer better then ever. There is a week or so break in period with these skimmers.
how do you plan on using the sump/skimmer? Are you taking out the old W/D filter and using the new one in its place?
1200 in a 55 IMO is going to be a lot of flow, plus your going to have the return pump. Why do you want so much flow?

Just to confirm:I can use the same pump I'm using now as the return pump which is a powerhead and has been fine for the past 5 years.
The CA pump came with the RD. I have a Mag12 that I plan on using as a closed loop I can add more T's to push the flow. How much flow do you think this is? I heard 1200gph are what is needed for a 55. I am taking out the old W/D filter and using the new one in its place?
The Mag12 is going to replace the 3 powerhead 1200's in my tank now. What pump should I use in place of the CA that came with my skimmer? I like the one they have but since you experienced trouble with it. I like a submersible one but there isn't much room for a submersible MAG.

the Mag 7 is small and it fits in my sump right next too the skimmer. You can cut the hose on the skimmer so it goes straight down so the pump can sit right next to it.
the mag is about the same size as the CA. I would run the CA until it becomes a problem, just keep a eye on it when the power goes out, you may need to wiggle it to get it started again. Keep the suction cups from the CA because they fit in the hole on the bottom of the Mag 7 which come with none.
AETech is a local business for me so I have stopped in and talked to them about the skimmer. They sell the Mag 7 as a upgrade for the reef devil.
1200 GPH in a 55 IMO is a lot, I am not big on flow in the tank. IMO unless you have lots os SPS your flow can be lower. I have no PH in my 125 and I get great flow through the tank with just the return pump. I have the Sen 900 Ted so I can have 2 hang on return lines at each end of the tank. I have a Via aqua 3600 on my 55 with a single return line hung in the middle and I get lots of flow.
In nature there are dead spots for fish and corals to rest and grow.
Don't take me wrong, flow is not a bad thing, but IMO you don't need as much as some say.

Yes you can keep the same return pump. You are not changing the overflow at all right? The flow rate is not changed by adding a skimmer. Its all contained in the sump, you suck water from the sump and it goes through the skimmer and the discharges out back into the sump. Sucking water from the same chamber that you discharge into is fine.

Thanks for the information. I will not be changing the overflow. I am basically trying to eliminate the 3 powerheads in my tank for the flow and replace it with a closed loop. I have the MAG12 but if you think the 7 or 9 will be better I can change it. I have soft, hard, zoos, corals, clams, anenome. As of now I have the return on the right side of the tank next to a PH one PH in the middle next to the filter and another PH on the other side next to the Skimmer. From everything stated I have decided to keep the CA pump for the skimmer, I will use the PH for the return to the tank and a MAG7 externally to replace the 2 returns on the ends of the tank. Does this sound like a good idea? Sorry for asking so much just trying to find the right fit. Thanks for all your help.

I purchased the MAG7. Which I intend to use as my return and also split it as a return to both sides of the tank thus eliminating the 3 PH now inside. My problem is the side with the RD skimmer the MAG does not fit as it allows me only limited (2") space to fit a pump in it. Question the side where the water from the overhang enters my sump it goes through a micron bag the same side of the sump has the pump for the skimmer would it be ok to have both pumps in the same side? I was thinking thats the only way but I don't want to send dirty water back into the tank. Thanks

Most people I know have the skimmer on the same side as the overflow. Thats the way I have mine set up.
the bigger side is for the skimmer and skimmer pump and overflow, the smaller side is for the return pump. Is there room in the return side for both?

A mag 7 will probably be a little low for a duel return, if I had a choice I would go with a Mag 9.5. I used these cool hang on back return J hook that americel makes.

You do not want the overflow and the return pump in the same chamber.

Ok I took anther look at your pic, they changes their design on the sump. You are limited with room now. I would have the skimmer on the side that the overflow is on and run both pumps in the other chamber. You want the the bubble trap to work so you need the return pump on the right side.

Ok now what I want to know is now that you took another look at it I am limited in space as you can see. So where I have the skimmer in the pic now is fine? with both pumps in the other chamber next to the filter bag? I can probably fit a powerhead as a return in the side with the skimmer thats all the room allowed. I believe like 2". I purchased a MAG7 last night I thought that was good for a 55gal? Should I just stick with the 12 and split it or should I use the MAG7 with just 1 return which should be enough? I want it to be sufficient for my corals thats my main concern, clams etc.

I tried to place the skimmer on the side with the filter bag and inlet from my overhang on my tank and it doesn't not fit too good. It fits better on the side seen in the picture. I placed the MAG7 in place of the pump that they gave. I am going to use a powerhead to return the water into the tank. and see if I can fit the return on the same side of the skimmer if I can fit it. Would this be ok? Thanks

I cant believe that they made the sump that much smaller.. You have to work with the limited space that you have, the way you have it in the pic look like it will work.
They were not using the filter sock when I got my unit so I dont have one. Every tank is different so its hard to say when it will need cleaning. If it looks dirty clean it, if the water is backing up in the bag higher then it needs to be cleaned. When those thing s get dirty the water does not flow through them very good, you'll know when its time.
400 gph is going to be a little low for a return pump. Your pump need to match your overflow rate from the tank. you want as much flow as possible out of the tank, most overflows are rated at 600 gph. You need to match you return to that flow. You already had a working set up right? Your flow rate should not change just from adding a new sump and skimmer.

Yes I have a working pump, Skimmer now and the return pump rate is the 400gph same PH as the one I just bought. I am limited in space so that fit the best and was the biggest PH that I could find to fit. So what you are saying is if my MAG is pushing 700gph into my skimmer and the return back into the tank is only 400 there will be a backup?

I cannnot place a MAG7 in the same place as the skimmer it just won't fit so basically I am stuck with a PH 400gph as my return and a MAG7 with 700gph feeding my skimmer. Would this be ok or will there be backflow? Would I need to get a smaller MAG to replace the MAG7 so that the return and the feeder to the skimmer are equal? The distance from the MAG7 to the skimmer is very short as you can see in the picture and the distance from the rteurn to my tank is about 4ft. Thanks

Your skimmer needs a mag 7 so you can not go smaller then that unless you put the CA1800 back on. If you use a pump with too little GPH the skimmer will not work properly.
There is not enough room for 2 pumps on the left fo the sump?

I have the MAG7 on left of sump as you can see in photo. Do you think I should place another MAG7 for the return on same side? I cannot fit any MAG7 on the side with skimmer only enogh room for a PH 400gph. Thanks

IMO you need a min of a mag 7 as the return.
If you have no room in the skimmer chamber you have no choice but to put in the other chamber.
where in NY are you?

Would it be ok to house the Mag7 return and the Cat1800 for my Skimmer in the same bay in my tank since I am pressed for room? Or is there any other way. Thanks for all of the info.

Back
Top Bottom