reef lighting for growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kickingfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I wanted to get some opinions on the best reef lighting for sps coral growth and just good coral growth over all. I have a bunch of LPS now that are doing fantastic under a 250 watt 15,000 K metal halide. Thinking I might upgrade to a 400 watt ballast and, from what I am reading, a 6500k bulb. I am going to put some actinic lighting on also to take the yellow out of the water color from the 6500. Tank is a 90 gallon corner. I am hoping I am attaching a picture to this. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image-3947610661.jpg
    image-3947610661.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 128
Yes those are mushrooms. There are some red ones too but they are covered up by the blue ones.

Wow!! I want mushrooms like that!! Awesome!!!

I just showed my wife the picture. I will be heading to the LFS in search of those mushrooms. I like the idea of them on the back wall. Again amazing tank!

What size tank do you have? What's the height? A 400w MH is an awful lot of light. It will most likely bleach some of your corals. I've only seen 400w MH used on deep tanks.... 30"+ deep tanks. If your corals are doing great, why change to 400s? I'd probably just add some t5s for actinics to get the colors you're looking for. 250s on regular size tanks is a great way to go.

Go and get led the 400 w will burn your coral unless u start with the light up high and then lower it weekly

Back
Top Bottom