Reef Moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all.

I would like to re-arrange my whole tank, Some more caves and selfs.

Its pretty established where it is now, is there any harm in it all? After i have moved stuff, Will it cycle?
Im happy with it now, I just think i could do something really spectacular if i put my mind + a day to it.

Let me know.

Thanks.

You should not have much of a cycle .. Have 2X's your H20 volume on hand ...
Take out about 2/3rds of your water scape ... The trick is to try and keep your rock (after you have pulled about 2/3rds of your water out and split it up )and sand wet at all times ... When I do ours I take the rock out ... place it in a Tupperware tote and blow the rock off (this water will be discarded ) .. in another bucket I place the corals and fish ... keeping the water circulating and warm with a heater .. I scape it to the way I think I want it ... I then take a power head and some of the old tank water and pump it in over the just so that it is over the rocks preventing a sand storm and release of nasty stuff ... some release is normal tho so dont worry to much ... I then place the corals in ...
Next I add some fresh mixed salt water to the tank ... till it is full ... I place a drip line in and "re-acclimate" my fish to their tank after about 30 minutes of semi fast drip I add my fish back place in some fresh salt H20 ... I usually run a tandem filter to help "clear" up the extra particles sure to float for a day or 2 I also run carbon and rinse the pads hourly to clear it quicker ...Over the next week I test daily for any signs of a mini cycle and have water at the ready should the tests reveal a water change is needed ...
You are likely to have a mini cycle but that is all you should be fine ... have fun and post up pics of before and after :D

I'd prolly keep 50% fresh SW mix of the water volume of your tank on standby for water changes just in case. Sometimes when rock is moved from the sand bed, it can stir up some nasties and give you a little spike.

You should be fine, just be ready for some water changes, 25% or so at a time IMO.

Back
Top Bottom