Reef Safe Fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 55 FOWLR tank, that I will be upgrading to a 125g tank in the next upcoming weeks.. I've tried to stick with fish that are considered reef safe, so I can do some corals in my 125. As of right now, I have a pair of clowns, a mandarin goby, a six line wrasse, & a watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair. I also have a few peppermint shrimp, & emerald crabs, & snails.. What would be a few good additions once I set up the 125, it will have a 55 gallon sump. I've been looking into a yellow angelfish, & a hippo tang. If those are going to be possible? Thanks!

You can try a coral beauty I believe there reef safe and or a tang

Hippo tangs need a mininum of 180 gallons. I learned that the hard way. Yellow tang needs a hundred mininum, id go with that

How'd you learn the hard way? I've read a 125 (6foot) is a good size for Hippo, & that they grow slowly. I've also read up that yellow tangs can be quite aggressive, with the barb on their tail.

Yellow tangs are usually only aggresive toward their own kind. Flame angels and coral beauties can be kept with caution. I had a flame and he never bothered anything but each fish is different. Lamarck angel can be kept in a reef tank and they are quite stunning.

go to the liveaquaria site for tangs and select min tank size to 125 gal. There are some awesome looking fish, including powder Blue and Brown (my fav), Whitetail Bristletooth, Whitecheek, etc. You'd be amazed at the selection available, and that is just at 1 website.
Putting a fish in a tank where it will barely be able to turn around, without rocks in there, won't lead to a healthy tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/....cfm?c=15+43&s=ts&start=1&page_num=1&count=17

Last edited:
Blue tang known as the king of ich. I had him in my 30 gallon. Talk about me being a noob lol. I figure it was worth a shot since i paid ten bucks for him. Now my other fish looks like they are getting ich too. Im doing water changes daily to boost their immune system. I dont think you would like that either. So far im making progress but it will take daily water changes for me to fight it.

Ingy said:
Why ask the question?:nono:

Because I want to know.. That's why I haven't once said I am gettin a hippo tang, just that, that was a considered option.. I'm taking in everyone's opinion, & as far as the tang being king of ick, I have already got a tank set aside for a QT. but besides a tang & angelfish, since I can basically only have 1 of each, what are other fish.. Like a Dottyback, & Chromis or anything such as that... I want fish that have some personality, & give the tank some sort of movement. I know the watchman goby & pistol shrimp aren't that moving but in the 55, they are fun to watch as they have a huge shell by their selves.. Pretty neat..

One of my friends has 75 gallon with tons of coral. He decided to go with a school of chromis fish. Super cheap so he ended up getting like 20+ or so. Super sick to see how they are synchronized swimming back and forth. Feeding time looks cool!!

Yeah, I wanna do quite a few of those, but I also want some other eye catchers.. I saw a tank on YouTube with a ton of Anthias.. They look cool but I know they pick on inverts & stuff.. Plus they are expensive..

How about flasher wrasse? I plan on getting like getting two. Nice to see them show off. Havent researched them yet so i cant tell you about their needs

Budda619 said:
How about flasher wrasse? I plan on getting like getting two. Nice to see them show off. Havent researched them yet so i cant tell you about their needs

Well I already got a six line wrasse, I'll have to look into them as well.. Most fish you can have can only be a single species. Kinda sucks.. & I don't want damsels..

Because I want to know.. That's why I haven't once said I am gettin a hippo tang, just that, that was a considered option.. I'm taking in everyone's opinion, & as far as the tang being king of ick, I have already got a tank set aside for a QT. but besides a tang & angelfish, since I can basically only have 1 of each, what are other fish.. Like a Dottyback, & Chromis or anything such as that... I want fish that have some personality, & give the tank some sort of movement. I know the watchman goby & pistol shrimp aren't that moving but in the 55, they are fun to watch as they have a huge shell by their selves.. Pretty neat..

I'm sorry if I upset you, and perhaps I have misread your posts :hide:. You did say in your second post "am possibly going to try a hippo tang". Your next 2 posts did seem to defend that decision; "I've read a 125 (6foot) is a good size for Hippo, & that they grow slowly"; and "I would have a QT tank, If I got a hippo tang". It seemed to me like you had already made up your mind and were just wondering what to get with your Hippo tang. I'm glad I was wrong.

There are a bunch of reef safe wrasses. Too many choices, so find one that grabs ya. I believe they would be okay with the 6 Line. I think Hawks are interesting. Maybe something like a Spotted or even Longnose? Not always super active, but definitely have personality.

Cool, & I really would like a tang, & my little boy wants a hippo tang.. But idk.. & do you guys think a 48 inch wave point t5ho 4 bulb light fixture will be good enough to grow corals in the 125g.

Following along.

For lights just go LED- so much nicer with the shimmer, no lamp replacement and low energy consumption and heat.

If your looking at tangs there are alot of really nice options so look online and see what you like the looks of that will be ok in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom