Reef to fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjboer7

Aquarium Advice Activist
All the fish my wife likes are not reef safe soooo my buddy with a reef tank is going to buy all my coral and my metal halide lights and replace the rocks with the coral. So with that said I need new lights what lights are best for a 125 gallon fowlr tank? And I don't want metal halide there over kill for fish only but I don't want to spend a ton of money on big led?

kjboer7 said:
All the fish my wife likes are not reef safe soooo my buddy with a reef tank is going to buy all my coral and my metal halide lights and replace the rocks with the coral. So with that said I need new lights what lights are best for a 125 gallon fowlr tank? And I don't want metal halide there over kill for fish only but I don't want to spend a ton of money on big led?

Two 36" t5 2 bulb fixtures from aquatraders. Or 2 48" led strips from the same site

If I went led how many lumens , and or watts

Well i would think that your wife would like nice corals just as much as non reef safe fish, right? Have you shown her nice colorful reef safe fish?

Yeah I driver her to 3 saltwater fish shops I live near Chicago so there's some really nice ones with lots of stock and she loves the puffers(don't we all) angel fish, ect we did buy a tang but she's not big on the corals so I want her to love the tank as much as I do so I can do a smaller coral and a larger shark tank when I have the room so what she wants she's gonna get for this one but I also like the non reef safe fish as well but I'm not picky as long as I have my salt life here in Indiana

kjboer7 said:
Yeah I driver her to 3 saltwater fish shops I live near Chicago so there's some really nice ones with lots of stock and she loves the puffers(don't we all) angel fish, ect we did buy a tang but she's not big on the corals so I want her to love the tank as much as I do so I can do a smaller coral and a larger shark tank when I have the room so what she wants she's gonna get for this one but I also like the non reef safe fish as well but I'm not picky as long as I have my salt life here in Indiana

Lol my Mother feels the exact same way. I was able to replicate my FOWLR to look like an artificial reef.

kjboer7 said:
If I went led how many lumens , and or watts

About enough to illuminate the tank so around 50 LEDs. They also have 36" led fixtures for about $100 so I'm going to say 2 of those.

Two per side or two total... And I love your tank looks great

Sweet thanks for your help I'm gonna order them this week :)

Probably led they be way cheaper in the long run

Also what uv sterilizer would you recommend if any at all

You don't need to worry about lumens. Any fixture will work. the fish don't care. It's all up to what you like to look at.

mr_X said:
You don't need to worry about lumens. Any fixture will work. the fish don't care. It's all up to what you like to look at.

I only recommended that many so the tank isn't so dim and the fish stick out.

just check out the DR.s sight for clearance and sale stuff,,all you need is basic T-5's ..all i have are 2 48" nova extremes on my FO ,like X said ,the fish don't care..Plus i have mushrooms and rics in with my angel,triggers and puffer

Back
Top Bottom