Reentry--my 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should be fine without CO2 with the lighting and the plants you have. I would not talk you into something you don't need.
Of note, the B caroliniana will respond favorable with a source of carbon. I had it in a low to low-med lit tank and it grew fairly well. I then added DIY CO2 and a few weeks later it became a weed! I stuck with DIY for almost a year before I purchased a CO2 regulator and tank setup. This was because I increased the lights and ferts for some more demanding plants.
If you do decide to use something like API CO2 Booster or Seachem Flourish Excel, dose lightly as the anacharis is sensitive to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, the Anacharis has staged a military coup of the right side of the aquarium, and the Vals are starting to send out runners (though they're not growing UP at all, grrr)

20141029_184634.jpg

I thought I had some Flourish Excel, but it turns out both me and the seller at Amazon didn't look at the packaging close enough--so been dosing plain Flourish! Thanks to Amazon's customer service department, all has been resolved, and hopefully I can find a dose that doesn't melt the Anacharis!

The sag is still just existing. I'll see what happens with Excel, but I may have to find some Osmocote+ or something, to make my imaginary internet friends (and maybe the plants, too) happy!

And since I suppose this is really a FISH tank and not a PLANT tank, I should add that since the last casualty nothing else has happened, besides the fact that the tetras still seem to be beating up on each other, though the injured one has healed up since I posted that thread. Makes me nervous to get any more fish, though, until they maybe settle down.

That's the news from Lake WoBeGon...

Well, I went into Petschmo to look for a new leash for the dog and walked out with a new Anubias. I've also got a new phone and so here goes an experiment to post a photo with the AA app:

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414795926759.jpg
    1414795926759.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 353
And hey, it worked! As you can see right now it's just perched in a crack on the big driftwood, not sure if that will be the final resting place or not. Heck, I'm still not sure that I want to keep the driftwood there!

Like the new plant!

No co2 for me for a long while I imagine. Though at times I am envious for some of the AMAZING color and additional variety of plants, maybe some time, I will just try the planted tank co2 no fish to start and not kill off the fish with error.:eek:

Went into a store I didn't know about before today--they are mostly a custom marine tank place, but they do a little bit of freshwater, and he had some Java Moss that I picked up. When I got home there were two shrimplets hitching a ride! Now, I know they won't last 2 seconds in there, so they and a bit of the moss is living in a container on the kitchen counter...

I've still got that 2 gallon hex tank around here somewhere, too. But now I'm starting into my little container and can't see anything... I'm afraid I may have killed them off with all the excitement and rapid water movement...

Naw, I have dropped them on the floor whole bag I was catching for someone, and had to pick tiny babies up with my fingernails before and other calamities over the course of the years (and clumsiness).

Unless you squashed them you are probably fine. When they are squashed, it's over.

They are good at hiding!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, with a planted bowl, do you just change some of the water every so often? How long-term can it be? I guess all I know about fish bowls involves dead goldfish from the county fair!

Yep, treat it like a tank with regular PWCs and top off as needed. How long term? Depends on what's in there, what light source, water quality, temp, etc.
Here is a thread from last year about Planted Bowls!. Lot's of different ideas, pics, and discussions on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, with a planted bowl, do you just change some of the water every so often? How long-term can it be? I guess all I know about fish bowls involves dead goldfish from the county fair!

:eek: Yes, sadly you aren't the only one with that horrifying experience.

Pwc like the rest of the tanks. The second pic, I actually added a tiny filter in the back, and had a tiny air pump for awhile first before I added the pump instead cleaned and aerated.

For the planted round bowl in the pic I just did regular pwc each week, fed lightly, and cleaned the minimal substrate with treated water about every month, or when it looked like it needed it. The snails were the huge poopers, causing the need to be cleaned more often, less snails = less often.

I kept a few shrimp in the round bowl for over a year and no heater, just room temp and got a few babies it wasn't swarming like in the heated tank. Probably like 68- 70F vs 78F heated. There are tiny Betta/nano tank heaters for 1-3G and 5G.

Mostly I keep snails in mine with plants growing out of a clear plastic saucer which rests in the top. Still have the bowl with a couple snails, no fish or shrimp now, years later!
60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

This one was my Planted Bowl thread inspiration. Vacation for the White Cloud Mountain Minnow Couple. Only had them in there a few months hoping for a spawn, but no. Snails, and I tried some shrimp in there too if I remember correctly.

The awesome jar developed a fracture and I didn't want to chance a structural failure. It was a 3G jar, but Wally world has one which is 2G for ~$10 I have been thinking about, but there are some awesome other vases at some stores I was thinking of being more decorative. Ah, I digress... still really like the little things, easy to tank care of.
60074-albums12102-picture55171.jpg

Last edited:
If I did that I think I'd just keep it up until the shrimp were big enough to not be an immediate snack and for the plants to fill in more. But it sounds like a very tempting cliff to jump off of!

Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

Well, this morning there's still one alive in there anyway. I may go and look at fishbowl options today...

After looking things over at not only a couple pet stores but also a housewares store and a craft store, but not walking away with anything (though I was soooo close to buying another Anubias, I think I have a problem) I just threw some sand and water into my old hex tank. I also have a tiny sponge filter, but I don't know if I can fit the air pump where I'm thinking of putting it.

After looking things over at not only a couple pet stores but also a housewares store and a craft store, but not walking away with anything (though I was soooo close to buying another Anubias, I think I have a problem) I just threw some sand and water into my old hex tank. I also have a tiny sponge filter, but I don't know if I can fit the air pump where I'm thinking of putting it.

Yeah, its MTS and maybe Anubiasgonnagetuhooked disease. :lol: Sorry, I crack myself up...and its getting really late!

See what happens with the new babies... I hope they grow big. What type of shrimp were in with the moss?

IMG_20141105_184416893.jpg

IMG_20141105_184757557.jpg

It's surprisingly difficult to get a decent photo of a hexagonal column of water.

Stole some Lemon Bacopa and Anacharis from the 45 gallon, as well as a tiny Val that had just come up from a runner in a place that just wasn't going to work out, just to see what they'd all do in this little tank. Not sure how long the big rock will be able to stay in there, since it takes up most of the space, but hey, since I'm just messing around it's not hurting anything.

But I didn't see any shrimplets today... Heaven help me but I'm considering going back to the store and just buying a few shrimp...

IMG_20141105_184416893.jpg

IMG_20141105_184757557.jpg

It's surprisingly difficult to get a decent photo of a hexagonal column of water.

Stole some Lemon Bacopa and Anacharis from the 45 gallon, as well as a tiny Val that had just come up from a runner in a place that just wasn't going to work out, just to see what they'd all do in this little tank. Not sure how long the big rock will be able to stay in there, since it takes up most of the space, but hey, since I'm just messing around it's not hurting anything.

But I didn't see any shrimplets today... Heaven help me but I'm considering going back to the store and just buying a few shrimp...

Doooo it!!! That rock has personality. It looks like it has been doing the Hula.

All my imaginary internet friends are always trying to get my wallet to cry...

That rock was in my 45 when I first set it up (you can see it on the first page) but with the addition of the agate and more driftwood something had to go. Who knows, it might wind up back in there at some point--or, I actually found about 5 rocks with the same colors that I have stored just in case.

Back
Top Bottom